Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Relocating to North Las Vegas... Advice?!

I would also recommend the northwest part of town. We just left there a year ago (we are also military) and we were on the NW side of town. There isn't a school on Nellis, anyway, so the school system would be the same no matter where you live. And it is not a good school system. I would recommend looking for a place based on what you already know you will be doing and needing, not on what you might need and do. There are a lot of gated communities that you could live in, as well, if you feel you would want the added security.

Advertisement

tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Oh and def contact me when you are settled. We can meet up at the park and let the kids play. My 2 youngest are close in age to your little ones.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks a bunch ktmelody! You'll probably be hearing a lot from me as it gets closer!

Tallanvor, I so thought they had an elementary school on base. Thanks so much for clearing that up! I am a bit of a scaredy cat, so a gated community might be good for us. lol DH will be leaving for more training a few months after we get there, so I definitely want a place where I feel safe without him.

This is definitely new news for us so we definitely have a lot more research to do. (obviously!) I really appreciate you all's advice and feedback! If you can think of anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Last edited by mrs_blazen; 02-20-2013 at 08:59 PM.
mrs_blazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I could be mistaken about school on base, but I do know that Nellis considered a part of the Clark County School District. I know I read that on the Nellis site somewhere.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
There are several elementary schools located within the boundary of NAFB, but they are all CCSD schools...which for us personally is not a good choice since we have an issue with CCSD. (I do have a student in a ccsd school right now for special needs and had kids in the district for years). Anyways, there are other great choices for schools that are not run by the district and you have a few years to decide. And they do grant zoning changes a lot if you want one.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just looked it up real quick and it looks like they do have 1 elementary school on base. It is part of the Clark County School District. But like you said, I should probably look for what we're needing now... Not 2-3 years down the road. The way the military is, so much can change before DS even starts school!!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #17
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a couple of kids from Creech that go to Lundy ES (mt charleston) and it is honestly an amazing school with staff that are basically family. Only 29 kids total K-5 - its like a homeschool co-op in the forest!

There a lot of police officers that live (and recommend living) in the NW area .

Ktmelody and I are good friends (met here on DS almost SIX years ago :O ).
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

That school sounds really great!! Thanks so much to everyone for being so positive! It honestly has helped me have a better attitude about the move and I'm getting excited! Talked to DH today for a long time and we are entertaining the idea of buying in the summerlin (nw) area. But neither of us know anything about buying a house so we need to do a ton of research. I think we're going to take a long weekend trip down to check out the area when he gets back from training.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

There are a lot of foreclosures there, so you can actually get quite a bit of house for not a lot of money if you are willing to take the time and look.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do anyone of you know anything about the preschool co-op? I think it's just called Kids Co-op if I'm remembering it correctly?