Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

I love wool in theory, but not so much in practice. It's the most expensive way to cloth diaper if you're going with fitteds and good quality wool. I worry the whole time I'm using it about the resale value, so much so I end up not even using some of it. That's just ridiculous.

I especially love wool through the nb stage because it's so good for their brand new skin, but I just can't keep up with it. With this new baby, I'm stocking up on aio's.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #32
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
For me it's the worry over them getting ruined. I paid $80 for a pair of pants and I didn't want then getting stained or snagged. I know you can buy used and not worry as much but someone has to buy new for there to be used
We still own and use it quite a bit but I worry over it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I agree. I bought some Sbish (love love love them) but I am terrified of the baby actually wearing them. So I sold/am selling them. I paid $25 for some MM hand knit off Spots & I have no problem with the baby wearing them. I also am much more likely to use mama made interlock soakers than I am any other type because it is usually cheaper so I can breathe when he wears it.

Other than that, I love wool. It isn't scary at all.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: What do you NOT like about wool?

For the washing and drying issues deterring some from using wool check out etsy and hyena cart. They have some really cute upcycled wool longies, shorties, skirties, booties, you name it someone has likely made it from upcycled wool. Often a plus of upcycled wool is it is machine washable. It is also significantly cheaper than interlock or hand knits.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use wool as clothes. My boys love it and always ask for their "toasty pants." I worry about it accidentally getting tossed in the washer with regular clothes and getting felted or the boys staining it. My dogs also like wool. They chewed up one of DS1s hand knit sweaters. Luckily that was the only thing they have chewed, but I have heard other people's dogs like to chew it too.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #35
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried it and didn't like it. I had 4 wool newborn sacks and 1 longies (i don't think I tried these). I didn't like that they made the babies legs tacky. So I may have just needed to try and lanolize again. It sounds great that you only have to wash once a week or every few days -- but that doesn't change that there is some pee in there. If my son got pee on his pants I wouldn't dry it out and reuse them later - I would wash them. Granted I reused GroVia and PUL covers all day without blinking so weak argument.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #36
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
I tried it and didn't like it. I had 4 wool newborn sacks and 1 longies (i don't think I tried these). I didn't like that they made the babies legs tacky. So I may have just needed to try and lanolize again. It sounds great that you only have to wash once a week or every few days -- but that doesn't change that there is some pee in there. If my son got pee on his pants I wouldn't dry it out and reuse them later - I would wash them. Granted I reused GroVia and PUL covers all day without blinking so weak argument.
I thought the urine evap'd / turned to "soap" or something like that when mixed with lanolin. That is why it is different.

If you don't like tacky/sticky legs (I never noticed) then why not use soakers? I use soakers at night then put wool footies over top. I'm all about over-kill though.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like & use most wool out of necessity as DS is allergic to PUL & fleece.

I don't like recycled/upcycled wool. I don't know what it may have been treated w/ when it was a sweater (chemi dry cleaning ), can't feel it before I buy it & sweaters feel VERY different from eachother, & many times the wool is mixed w/ synthetic fibers that my DS may be allergic too. While the price is nice it's just not worth the risk for us.

Last edited by Junipervt; 02-21-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Junipervt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #38
leighsie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by junvwekt View Post
Yep!!! This is me, too. There is currently laundry on my couch & some in a basket in the living room... just waiting to be folded.

Wait, wait, can you see inside my house?! That's my set up, lol.
leighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #39
mozartswannabe
Registered Users
seller

I've been wondering the same thing! no one talks about the cons! Ty for posting!
mozartswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #40
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyandnick View Post
I use wool as clothes. My boys love it and always ask for their "toasty pants." I worry about it accidentally getting tossed in the washer with regular clothes and getting felted or the boys staining it. My dogs also like wool. They chewed up one of DS1s hand knit sweaters. Luckily that was the only thing they have chewed, but I have heard other people's dogs like to chew it too.
My DS likes to chew it too . Whenever I am cutting out pieces he comes over for little scraps which he then carries around the house for a couple hours before they get gross then I throw them out.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote