Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Has your child ever been on TV? UPDATE

My husband's uncle called a month ago and asked if I'd let Gigi (4yo) be in a health insurance commercial, because he was going to be in it as "the old guy" and they wanted him to be grandfatherly to a 4-7 year old. He doesn't have any grandkids so I got the call. After taking video of them doing airplane on his feet, they want to go ahead.

This isn't something I would seek out, but I'm consenting because I think Gigi could really enjoy it. And when she's older she can say she did it.

Has anyone ever been through putting their kid in front of cameras? Gigi has a lot of confidence but I know she'll need some moral support for this with all those strangers. Any advice?

UPDATE:

We did the shoot last Friday. It was a huge production. 4 babies, a guy walking his dog, a running-down-the-hall screaming kid, other people. It took place at a private house on the grounds of a country club. The wardrobe lady bought Gigi's outfit from H&M, super casual. We got there at 12 and they didn't take us until 5 to shoot, although we tried on different clothes early on. It was really interesting and yet boring. The director really said action and cut and they had to do the airplane thing MANY times. Anyway, Gigi ended up being very at ease in front of the camera and all of the many people gathered on the perimeter of the shoot, and best of all she made $800 - more if they use the still photography! I had no idea she'd make that much. It kinda made it worth it, I have to say.

Advertisement

Last edited by danielle; 03-04-2013 at 09:42 AM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
No advice, but surely it will be a memorable thing for your daughter. The way you speak of here here she seems to be very confident and have quite a sense of self. I hope she enjoys it!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
No advice but that sounds fun. My dad did a commercial for a local company and said it was weird seeing it come on. He was older though. I bet she will do just fine and she will have familiar faces around during the shoot so that should help

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Yes, my oldest when she was 3. (She's 15 now.) She was in a commercial for a local toy store. She had a lot of fun, but since it was a toy store they just wanted her to play. She played dress up in the outfit of her choice and played with trains. No big deal at all.

When she was 5, I "auditioned" her (sent in photo and stats) to be in the Walmart circular. She got picked and I thought she would love it but she didn't. It was hours of hair, makeup, trying on clothes, staying still so clothes could be pinned, several photos, etc. We've never pursued anything like that ever again.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
My husband said isn't it funny that she has no idea what a commercial is!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Has your child ever been on TV?

Yes, my now 15 yr old was in a commercial for a health care company. He was playing ball with "grampa" and was 3. It was fun. We still have a copy of it all these years later. He got in as I worked as a CNA for the company back then.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD has been interviewed for the local news. She loved seeing herself on TV. If the opportunity presented itself, I'd let DD do a commercial. She loves being on stage and in front of the camera.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Nope, but I think it would be cool to at least try it. If she doesn't like it after this one, don't do anymore.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not my children but I can tell you working with Discovery Channel and the length of the shoot from start to finish may be lengthy. When we shot a 30-minute episode it took almost 12 hours from start to finish and that was with multiple crew and cameramen running around in a very fast paced environment.

It'll be busy with a lot of people but I think she'll have a great time either way It's definitely a fun atmosphere to say the least.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #10
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
It sounds like it would be a very fun thing to say you have done. I probably would allow it.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote