Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Siblings at hospital birth?

I always thought this was nuts. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. My hospital allows them in.... now I'm thinking maybe yes?

Anyone had siblings present at the hospital birth?

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Siblings at hospital birth?

I'm not opposed, in general.

but it looks like you're trying for natural? That can be long and hard to watch for a kid. I just don't think it would be a lot of fun for them to sit there and watch labor.

BTW, I have a friend with that study set if you're still looking for it, I can ask her if she's interested in selling. She had her baby this past weekend.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

I would do it if my kiddo was older. I think it would be a great thing for an older (my child is 2h child. She knows a baby is in mamas tummy but I don't think she really knows. She also really hates to see people in pain and doesn't love loud noises so its not appropriate for her right now. I think it probably depends on the kiddo though. Good luck making your decision!!! Sorry I'm not more helpful.
newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

totally go for it, just have a friend/family member to be in charge of them so you don't have to worry about them during labour
Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

my cousin did it with her 4 or 5 yo girl. they have some cute pics of her in her makeshift bed (labor got too long for her!). i would STRONGLY encourage you do make sure someone else (NOT hubby!) is caring for the kids. and if it seems like a long labor, don't invite them to the hospital till it's almost birth time... keeping kids entertained in a hospital can be difficult. good luck!!

newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Well I asked my 5 year old and he said, "I want to come to the hospital at night time when the baby is out like last time." So I think we'll probably stick with that, maybe I'll have my brother head over sooner... last time it felt like forever before he got there.

Emily- Yes please ask your friend about the hypnobabies set for me!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a 5 year old and 2 year old, and as of right now we don't have anyone to watch them so they may end up in the room with me for a while. My hospital says we can only have 2 support people in the room, but a doula friend had her two kids in there when she gave birth. With that said, I'd rather not have them in there while I'm laboring. I'm a "leave me alone" kind of person when in labor, and they would distract me because I'd try to make sure they were behaving and that my 2 year old wasn't getting into everything. I'd love for them to be there for the actual birth though.

With my last birth, my then 2 year old was present. However, it was a home birth at my midwife's house, and we were only there for 30 minutes before baby came. She and DH didn't even get a chance to play with my midwife's son's toys...she was kind of bummed about that.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lime stay at home until I get to about 6-7 cm. them they get the "call". They get there about 30 minutes before the baby is born and wait in the hall. Try visit for about an hour then go home. I go natural and I need a dark, quiet atmosphere.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

during my last birth DD was 8 yrs old so old enough to be present, but like the above poster mentioned, for (natural) labor i already knew that i needed dark, quiet, no noises or distractions, so i didnt have her there. this time she will be 14 and DS will be 6 and although DD has been begging to see me birth and i would like her to have a positive image of labor, im pretty sure i wont let either child join us.

i think it depends on what kind of person you are during labor- if you have never gone natural before, i would play it safe and not have anyone there who isnt necessary. youd be surprised how much others can affect your ability to labor!

i even went so far as to go under water to push during my last water birth because it enveloped me in my own little world away and helped me to summon my strength and work hard enough.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

dp