Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Registered Users
Sleep Help!

Our 4 month old thinks that 5:00-5:30 is the perfect wake up time. I used to be able to get her to sleep longer by nursing and cuddling. It was a lot of work, but I got to stay in bed longer. It doesn't work anymore! We have been co sleeping, but are transitioning her to her own space in our room in hopes this would help. It's not! She goes to bed at 7:00, wakes up to eat 2-3 times, naps from 9:00-11:00 and 1:00-4:00. Any ideas? I would live to sleep just a little longer. Our first slept until 9:00 or 10:00, so we're not used to this.

mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
My Mood:
Re: Sleep Help!

It just is what it is. Not every kid is the same. Mine wakes then too. He used to sleep till 8 and now 4-5 is the norm. Hopefully you will get used to it fast. The only other thing I will suggest is putting baby to bed later. Not that it ever worked for me.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Registered Users

I think transitioning to her own space will help. My guy has started waking up earlier and I'm having a hard time too. My guy is 12 months so I think this is just what he might prefer. I bet she changes her routine in a month or so.
Loving wife to my gaming, sports loving hubbie. Sahm to J 2/12 and L 10/13
UVASahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

there is a 4month sleep regression. This is when they move to the adult REM cycles. Which, your child might not be going through, persay, but might make big sleep changes harder just because the child is undergoing natural changes on top of any changes that you're trying to make.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

My LO is exactly like this and has been since birth. I tried everything - it's just his sleep cycle. Even now at 18 months he's been waking up by 5:30 every morning (for 18 months, haha). When he's older and can understand to stay in his room/play, toddler clock, etc. it will be a little better, but for now.. it is what it is.
Full-time WOHM and wifey to sweet angel J (7/29/11). Cloth Diapering, Fully Vaxing, Babywearing, semi-crunchy little family.
firsttimeclothmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Registered Users

Have you tried switching to a later bed time? If she is sleeping from 7pm to 5 am, that is 10 hrs of sleep! This is very good for a 4 month old baby.
It is normal for 4 month olds to sleep around 10 hrs. You need to set your baby's sleep schedule according to this criteria. If you like to wake up around 8 am, your baby needs to be in bed by 10pm instead of 7pm. Does this make sense?

I like to wake up around 10am. Our baby goes to bed around midnight. (She takes several naps during the day, she is in bed at midnight with us). She wakes up at 10:30. I wake up at 10 and have a quiet breakfast. She nurses ever 2-3 hrs at night. I nurse on demand. She kicks me or pat my side of bed to wake me up. She then nurses without opening her eyes. Trick is to nurse before she gets upset.
Good luck!
Saraf is offline   Reply With Quote