Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

can't get rid of diaper rash, giving up on cloth?

DS is almost 2. We've mostly cloth diapered since he was a few weeks old. We use bum genius pocket diapers. DS is a heaver wetter and we have been using disposables at night due to leaks.

Since Thanksgiving DS's skin has been rashy and really dry. I've had half a dozen different diagnoses from the pediatrician's office, from hives to fifths disease to dry skin. With it has come unrelenting diaper rash. I use CJs butt butter with our cloth diapers. I don't think our daycare provider is using it during the day and I don't think she is changing him often enough during the day. DS knows when he is wet, but hates diaper changes. She also doesn't get them adjusted too well. I've had to stuff the pocket diapers with an extra insert, making everything extra bulky. It is hard because DS does hate diaper changes and to keep up with him, he needs to go through 2 to 3 more cloth diapers than disposables.

Any suggestions? I'm ready to just give up since he is close to potty training (I hope!) and it is a recurring problem that will not seem to go away.

I don't know what else to try, besides going to disposables and using a ton of ButtPaste. Any suggestions?

Also, I bleach every month or so and strip with blue Dawn every 2 months or so.

Advertisement

mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
mrother
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: can't get rid of diaper rash, giving up on cloth?

I was coming to post something similar... I hope you can get some suggestions. I too am about to give up! But this is my fourth and he is 7 months. So we have a lot of time left......
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You could always try a more breathable diaper system. PUL is pretty much the least breathable diaper cover, so if you're battling a persistent rash then very little air circulation is getting to the diaper area. My advice would be to try something with a breathable cover like wool, or fleece, or the breathable Nikky wraps, or a nylon cover. If you get a wrap-style cover then you could easily trifold PFs into it. See if something like that makes a difference for him!

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris
You could always try a more breathable diaper system. PUL is pretty much the least breathable diaper cover, so if you're battling a persistent rash then very little air circulation is getting to the diaper area. My advice would be to try something with a breathable cover like wool, or fleece, or the breathable Nikky wraps, or a nylon cover. If you get a wrap-style cover then you could easily trifold PFs into it. See if something like that makes a difference for him!
Switching to wool and fitteds healed my DDs persistent yeast rash. Only thing that would work.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
momtomanywife21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

blow dry on cool between changes. I would use a flat diaper and pins with no cover when you are with them even if you use an old receiving blanket it would be better than with a cover.
My go to solution for yeast rash is not cloth diaper safe. It is one tube of lotrimin from pharmacy I always use generic, one tube of diaper cream of your choice and two ounces of maalox or mylanta. Mix with a mixer put in a sealed jar and put on baby every change.
momtomanywife21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
MommyJen_11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had what sounds like a very similar issue just before my son turned 2. Dry, scaly rash that peeled. My ped gave me a RX for Nystatin cream which is an anti-fungal cream so I am thinking it was yeast? It was not cheap and we ended up going through 3 tubes, but it worked. I used liners and the cream cleared it up immediately, but as soon as I would stop using it, the rash came back only overnight. I figured my microfiber night diapers were the culprit because he wore them the longest and they STANK like ammonia in the morning. It burned my eyes! I started rinsing the morning diaper really well before putting it in the wet bag. This still didn't fix it and the rash would look fine during the day in cloth, but at night he would flare up. I switched to an eco disposable at night for now and cloth during the day while I wait for some RLR or Mighty Bubbles to get here (I've had a hard time locating some in stock). I've tested a few nights with bamboo and hemp and it seemed ok, but I cannot do microfiber at night anymore. I'm about to go back to cloth at night as well now that the rash has been gone a good month.

I would suggest trying the Nystatin cream. I kept putting all sorts of ointments on the rash and the doc said not to. He said only powder to keep it dry because the fungus like warm wet places. I was probably making it worse by slathering him in Motherlove and other ointments.
MommyJen_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Sadly, I doubt your dc provider would dry his bum with a hairdryer at changes if she is already not changing him often enough. I have heard that it helps, but good luck getting dc to do that!! Probably they don't allow fitteds and wool at dc either (if yours is anything like mine).

I would try the Nystatin cream, but I would also try putting a Motherease staydry cotton terry liner on top of the suedecloth (it might be a reaction to the suedecloth that has just continually worsened over time). This way you'd still have stay-dry, you'd have a little extra absorbancy, and you wouldn't have to get a whole new diaper at this stage of the game when he's so close to PLing.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Mrs2011
Registered Users

My son was having the same prob I went to my local cloth diaper store and got mother love diaper rash and thrush cream. And it worked wonders. I got it on Wednesday and by Thursday morning the rash was completely gone. Best stuff ever.
Mrs2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
blueberriis
Registered Users
seller

I have a similar problem. I slather on Shea butter on my sons bottom at night to keep the moisture off him, and during the day I use cornstarch powder. If he does break out, I rub coconut oil every change until he gets better. Just gotta try everything.
blueberriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
mrstilly
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris
My advice would be to try something with a breathable cover like wool, or fleece, or the breathable Nikky wraps, or a nylon cover. If you get a wrap-style cover then you could easily trifold PFs into it. See if something like that makes a difference for him!
The problem is that DH won't let me spend a fortune to revamp out stash since DS is 2 and we aren't planning on #2 for at least another year. I would love some sbish fitteds and to try fleece covers, but they are so costly. And I don't know about daycare... If she will be willing to try a new system.
mrstilly is offline   Reply With Quote