Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
whiteyacht
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My five month old is a peanut but my heaviest wetter yet. He requires more absorbency than the toddler or preschooler. The best combo I have for him is a premium prefold with a flip organic (I guess these are now called their night inserts?), covered with a blueberry coverall. It is wet all over in the morning but no leaks if I change him first thing! He's an all night nursing cosleeper.

The coverall is much better than the duo for us, it is more full cut and can accommodate more diaper without having to increase the rise. We always get leaks if I have to move up a rise setting for a night dipe, because it makes the leg holes too big.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

Advertisement

whiteyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Overnight cloth vs disposables

My kids can out wet disposables no problem. Don't find them to be more absorbent at all! Our no-fail system is a Flip Organic with 1-2 Hem Babies doublers under a cover(usually Bummis Super Snap, Nikky or Imse Vimse wool) with wool or fleece on top. Even if it gets past the cover it never gets past the wool.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
lalalion
Registered Users
seller

A lot of times it is the combination of hemp and microfiber that really does the job.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
saturn
Registered Users

We just use disposables at night. One pampers gets us through the night with no changes and no leaks. Plus, we can use them with a non-CD-safe diaper cream that works better (for us) at preventing rashes when she's in a wet diaper for that long. I'm not knocking cloth, we use cloth all day long, including at daycare. I'm sure we could have found something that would work if I had experimented enough, but it didn't seem worth the extra hassle to me.
Basically, I just wanted to say that it's okay if you decide to go with disposables for overnight. Just do whatever works for you - after all, it's just a diaper!
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At one time my DD was in cloth at night, but sometime around 4 months old she became a heavy wetter and no amount of stuffing seemed to contain her. Then we started solids and the change in her output gave her a rash for a while that would only go away with non-CD-safe rash cream. I am exploring nighttime cloth again since her skin seems to have calmed down, but it may work and it may not. You just have to do what works for you!
delladea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
mothergooseofthree
Registered Users
seller

I never get it when others say they can't find a night solution. I switched to cloth because I couldn't find a sposie to hold my ds overnight. My solution for night usually included a Sandys or hemp fitted combined with a fleece topped hemp doubler or two. Over that, I would use either a ME Airflow or a wool soaker.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by li'l skeeter View Post
Am getting really frustrated trying to find the right combination of cloth diapers to use overnight for our VERY heavy 5 month old wetter! I would love it if he could sleep at least 7-8 hours straight, but it's difficult to encourage that when he wakes up every 3-4 hours and I have to do a cloth diaper change if I don't want him or the bed to be soaked! Any one else struggle with this? I'm tempted to use disposables at night simply because they absorb more and I can try and get him back to sleep with little interaction/no diaper change. Also, it's a bit of a process to change the overnight diaper, making sure everything is tucked in and in place! I love cloth, but my sleep is becoming more important!

Current overnight cloth set up:

GMD prefold wrapped around softbums super dry touch pod or twinkletoes overnight zorb insert...thirsties duo cover.

Have tried and failed with massive leakage (around the legs):

Softbums cover with super dry touch pod and mini pod doubler/prefold, tri-folded
GMD prefold with either softbums cover or thirsties duo cover
From what I remember from that time of my sons life it was his heaviest wetting time. I would just go do disposables until he's eating more solids and go back to your current set up. I am all in favor of more sleep over diaper preference!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

I think it can also matter if you have a flooder or a all night wetter.. Babies that tend to hold then flood their diapers at points during the night I think do best in a cloth set up that can assorb quickly and help lock things away. A microfiber/hemp combo is great for this I also find a weaved cotton fabric like birdseye (flats) and a denser fabric like bamboo or hemp good for this senerio as well.. If you have a pee all nighter but not a strong forcefull wetter then disposables are often good and for some a better choice.
I have the second it was hard to find cloth for her at night because she did these little constant pee secessions which just never was assorbed well, we also had a hard time finding a night cloth solution that didn't drag down and cause plummer but (which umm leaks) so we too found a disposable worked best.. Now honestly I use it because it is easy. We use pampers baby Dry.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

My ds is an incredibly heavy wetter, pee frequently and nurses all night long. Our best combo so far have been Ecoposh fitted with a Disana wool soaker, a Lolidoo fleece night pocket stuffed with a hemp prefold.

Lately I've tried other combos, anything involving the hemp prefold seems to work! A cover with double gusset or wool is a must.

We had a month where we used sposies at night because I was so fed up and ds had a bloody rash on his bum we are doing better now!
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
MFrayne
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn
We just use disposables at night. One pampers gets us through the night with no changes and no leaks. Plus, we can use them with a non-CD-safe diaper cream that works better (for us) at preventing rashes when she's in a wet diaper for that long. I'm not knocking cloth, we use cloth all day long, including at daycare. I'm sure we could have found something that would work if I had experimented enough, but it didn't seem worth the extra hassle to me.
Basically, I just wanted to say that it's okay if you decide to go with disposables for overnight. Just do whatever works for you - after all, it's just a diaper!
This is us exactly!
MFrayne is offline   Reply With Quote