Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
mozartswannabe
Registered Users
seller

Re: How much have you spent and saved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe'sMommy View Post
Wow, I didn't know I had to be here a long time or have iTrader rating to partake in a cloth diapering community. Guess some "crunchy, earthy mama's" are just a judgy as the sposie mama's that think I'm nuts for doing something so "gross".
I won't lie, I kind of too that comment the same way, but I don't think it was intended to come across that way. I'm hoping she was just trying to point out that the more active you are in the CD community the harder it becomes to save money. There are so many cute diapers out there and I find it pretty tough to resist sometimes!

Advertisement

mozartswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartswannabe

I won't lie, I kind of too that comment the same way, but I don't think it was intended to come across that way. I'm hoping she was just trying to point out that the more active you are in the CD community the harder it becomes to save money. There are so many cute diapers out there and I find it pretty tough to resist sometimes!
I have to agree.. I don't think she was trying to make anyone feel inferior or be mean. It is true, being on diaperswappers makes you spend more than you originally planned. At least in my experience
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #23
March
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe'sMommy

Wow, I didn't know I had to be here a long time or have iTrader rating to partake in a cloth diapering community. Guess some "crunchy, earthy mama's" are just a judgy as the sposie mama's that think I'm nuts for doing something so "gross".
Oh I think she just meant that DS breeds a "cloth diaper tourist" mentality; seeing how much activity a mama has had in FSOT is just a good indicator of how relatively little she's saved over the potential savings of cloth.

This is one of the leeeeast judgmental mamas around. Promise!
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
Oh I think she just meant that DS breeds a "cloth diaper tourist" mentality; seeing how much activity a mama has had in FSOT is just a good indicator of how relatively little she's saved over the potential savings of cloth.

I agree! I am sure she just meant that for most mamas that stick around they end up spending a lot more than they intend, and the mamas that are not on diaper forums actually can save a bunch. I know I've seen that personally in my own group of local friends - the ones that just buy cloth and stick with it save a bunch of money and usually have very little complaints regarding their "system" of choice. You don't see that much on here! DS is a great community, but the large majority of the mamas on the diapering portion of this site are not saving money, myself included. I mean hello, I have over 150 ratings on just THIS site alone. Granted that I've had 3 babies since I joined, but STILL

I promise the mama that posted that is a sweet lady and she didn't mean that you weren't welcome to join the conversation. If anything, she probably feels a bit like I do -I envy the mamas that haven't gotten sucked into a cloth obsession.

Last edited by FernHollow; 02-21-2013 at 06:39 PM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
Gabe'sMommy
Registered Users

Thanks ladies. My LO isn't here yet so I have big plans to save all this money! But diapers are super cute, especially a lot of the WHAM diapers that I love to drool over. I keep telling myself (and my DH keeps reminding me) that we need to save money somewhere if I'm going to take my full year off work so I'm hoping to resist and just look at everybody else's gorgeous diapers.
Gabe'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
JustSmile7
Registered Users

Funny how so many admit to not saving much. Makes me feel better though lol! I actually put numbers to my dipes and supplies and was closer to $800. Once baby arrives I'll have to step away from this site so that I do save money hehe. It's super addicting. When DS was in cloth I was slightly disappointed when he PTd. He was just barely over 2 and I knew we weren't planning on another baby for a while. So glad we didn't have a system for newborn. I have pretty small babies so my OS simply wouldn't work no matter how we tried it...at least I sold hubby on that idea
JustSmile7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe'sMommy View Post

Umm, wow. Not at all what I meant. I am one of the least judgy moms here & totally not snarky.

Sorry. I was being silly.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozartswannabe View Post

This exactly. I remember when I was planning my DS3's stash & I tried so hard to keep it simple & frugal. Then I spent more & more time here and my purchases went up & up & up. You can get sucked in to "the newest next best thing". Look at Flip organic flats. So people jumped on the bandwagon & bought bunches & have already moved on. This all happened in February. It isn't even March yet.

I am really sorry y'all took that the wrong way. I am seriously not judgy. More power to you if you can keep it frugal. I wish I had.

Last edited by P!nkPepper; 02-21-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by March

This is exactly what she meant! If you knew more you would know the tone. I can see how you could read it in a snarky tone though. And get a different vibe than intended. But I totally think it was of the 'more time spent around these parts- the thinner the wallet is' and truth to that- there is!! Lol
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #30
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks Mamas that know me.

I swear I didn't mean anything nasty by it.