Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

what I would buy if I had to do it all again

I just sold the last of my diapers. I've collected over $650 from all of it! so what did I end up with? best bottoms and flats w/covers. It was my first baby and I stocked up on pockets, AIOs and flip inserts. so here is what I learned:
1-I hate synthetic fibers. so I sold 25 pockets and 7 flip inserts
2-I want things that dont show signs of wear. so I sold my BG 4.0s, my AIOs and 44 flip organics.
3- I like things that are easy to wash. The flips are hard to keep clean b/c they are 4 layers. so I picked flats.
4-I like things trim. another reason I got rid of the flip organics. Thats why I picked best bottom.
5-dont stock up on anything until you can see how they wear and how much abuse they can take.

so I made a list of whats important to me in a diaper in order of importance:
1) natural fibers
2) durability and looks new wash after wash
3) easy to wash;I have well water and my water softener broke
4) trim; I did not expect my baby to be so petite.
5) easy to use
6) versatility
7) fast drying time; I didnt have a dryer when I started CDing. no big deal- I live in Florida and line dry everything... until rainy season. then I could see why people used flats in the olden days.
8) economical; I like to use a cover multiple times and just change the inserts

This thread is to help those new to CDing so mamas please share, what did you learn in your CD career and what is on your list of importance. Hope this helps the newbies.

Advertisement

Last edited by cathplyr; 02-21-2013 at 07:27 PM.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ive learned the only things that matter to me are durability/quality and functionality! I went through a stage where I wanted cute prints/colors and realized I had to sacrifice quality to get them (and sometimes even pay more!). My stash looks pretty boring but it works, is economical and has worn well! If I had it to do again, I'd probably just stick with my one favorite brand!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by amb2j; 02-21-2013 at 05:37 PM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: what I would buy if I had to do it all again

I also agree to not go with an entire system of one type before trying it out for a few months. The only thing I have not tried is flats but I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much.

Also, beware of pockets. A lot of new cders start out with these because they are the easiest to understand and cheap to get. I HATED them. It took so long to stuff everything. A lot of people love them. I just couldn't do it anymore.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I like:
1) simple/obvious design
2) durable materials that can take a beating at wash time
3) easy to put away laundry, no stuffing or snapping or insert matching
4) aplix/H&L because for some reason I am dumb with snaps and they take me forever no matter how much practice I've had, and the fit is not as adjustable

Things I have that I would not re-buy: fancy snapping fitteds, all wool, snap-in-one AIOs or AI2s, snap covers, anything with a pocket that needs to be stuffed every time, anything made with bamboo terry

If I started all over, I would have a full stash of sized cotton prefolds, to fasten with snappis on little EBF babies and to trifold on a bigger baby, with a variety of PUL and fleece aplix covers. And rather than spend a ton of time and money on figuring out nighttime solutions and babysitter friendly cloth, I would just have some eco sposies on hand for nights and occasional caregivers.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
disneylindsay
Registered Users
seller

It is so true! I thought I would like one thing, pockets and AIO's and realized I am totally in love with natural fibres, fitteds and wool. I would much rather stuff with a flat and a prefold, over microfiber and I totally fell in love cloth wipes and hemp doublers!

It really does come from trial and error.

I like durability, and I must have something that cleans easily. I also like breathability for night time. My stash is not gorgeous, with lots of amazing prints, but I LOVE my GMD's and my SBISH OBF's the best of all.

I was afraid of wool, and thought it would be a hassle, and now it is my preference!

Don't be afraid to try something new, you just may surprise yourself with what works for you and what you fall in love with!!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After 5 1/2 yrs of CDing nonstop and being sucked into all of the new and cute things I have finally gotten my stash where I pretty much want it (with a few things left to sell)
-flats (for padfolding and occasionally pinning and for nighttime use)
-PUL covers (flips and diaper safari w/ a few other brands thrown in)
-8-10 convenience diapers for the diaperbag
***I am convinced I could sell off everything but my flats and covers and it would be totally workable but for some reason I am worried about selling my convenience diapers (mostly BG AIO sized w/ a few others). I do have a few Flip flats to try just out of curiosity.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I loved the BestBottoms covers w/ hemp inserts but never tried them w/ flats...
Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

The factors important to me are -

Trimness
Ease in washing
Quick drying
Colorful/pretty

So we use covers and flats. If I had known in the beginning, I would have saved a lot of money. A lot.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would buy fabric and make my own! Ha Ha!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
ladybuglove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cloth is trial and error. Most people don't love their first systems. Once you do find that perfect system for your family get off these sites! These sites will have you questioning if another type would work better, ect.

For my family aplix only, natural fibers, breathable options for summer due to our high heat pul causes rashes except our beloved bges. Had I known all this I would have bought a stash if bges and been done I do have a nice stash of fitteds and some wool/fleece sized prefolds that we don't use now but we plan to have more little ones so all my trial and errors I have found some diapers I love and am keeping for future babies. When we are done I will be able to sell it all and make a good amount of money back.
ladybuglove is online now   Reply With Quote