Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
grrrrr... a DH/money vent

A couple of weeks ago, DH went on the roof to investigate some damage from a storm. That evening, he felt sore on one side and was sure it was a fractured rib (never mind that all he'd been doing was lying on his stomach and stretching; there had been no force applied, much less the amount it would take to break a rib). He decided to go to the ER. I was putting the kids to bed when he left, so I couldn't talk him down. Turns out it was just a strained muscle. We got the bills today, totaling approximately $4,000. I'm so angry. I mean, I understand he was in some pain, but that's $4,000 for a *#@%& strained muscle; there goes the money I had saved to buy proper beds for the boys, there goes any possibility of replacing the worn out (and frankly unsafe) play structure this year, there go some repairs that really ought to be done around the house. I know the hospital will let us set up a payment plan so we don't blow through our entire savings, and I realize deferring non-essential purchases and repairs will not ruin our lives, but I'm really steamed that we will spend so much on something that would get better on its own in a few days. Seems like every time we get ahead and have a nice cushion in savings, something happens to blow it away.

I guess the "good" news is that we're not too far from our deductible, and after I take the 2-year-old for his hearing screen and speech evaluation, I'm betting we'll be pretty close to meeting it; after that, everything is covered 100%.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: grrrrr... a DH/money vent

holy moly! Yeah I'd be livid too! Heck, our healthcare is free and I still get mad when SO goes up to ER for a stuffy nose, sore back, etc. (he doesn't like our family doctor lol)

Maybe tell him to come up with the money outside of the family savings? That might be a bit harsh but there's no way I'd spend $4,000 on a silly medical bill over stuff for the house/kids!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would be infuriated, too.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Call the hospital and let them know your deductible is high. In the past I have had them treat it like we were self pay and it knocked the bill down.

Last edited by booty hunter; 02-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.
booty hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I would first call the hospital and see if you can get things cheaper. Then maybe pay a chunk upfront that you are comfortable with. Then make the monthly payments something hubby has to be responsible for, as in it comes out of any of his blow money and frivolous things mainly for him.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh lawd....he would need to go back to the hospital for a for real broken rib when I got done w/him....grrr.....men can be so ignorant smh
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow I'd be upset too. I have good insurance and don't believe in using the emergency room for anything besides true life or death emergencies. Things that can't wait for your doctor we use urgent care. Your DH should have gone to urgent care or waited and gone to the doctor. I totally Understand why you are upset.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yikes that is more than it cost for my hospital stay and the birth of my daughter! I would seriously check to see if that bill is correct! $4000 for an ER are visit? Did they do an MRI or just a chest xray? (I could see if that included an MRI. But really a Chest x-ray would have been sufficient.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had a really bad migraine the day my baby got out of a week in the hospital. i didnt have access to my meds so it got BAD. dh tried to explain the insurance to me but i was in too much pain. i thought it was like 10% yeah...AFTER a $5000 deductible i could have died when i got the bill. but we are just paying it a little at a time
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia
Yikes that is more than it cost for my hospital stay and the birth of my daughter! I would seriously check to see if that bill is correct! $4000 for an ER are visit? Did they do an MRI or just a chest xray? (I could see if that included an MRI. But really a Chest x-ray would have been sufficient.)
Yeah that's 8x more than my daughters birth and 4x more than my kidney stone surgery a few weeks ago- OP I'm with the other girls call the hospital and see what you can do!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote