Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

stripping membranes

have any of you had this done with previous pregnancies? if so, what happened and did it hurt? my docs offer it but i'm not so sure about it.

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

DDC, with baby #1 I had it done at 40w, didn't hurt (little uncomfortable), didn't put me into labor. I didn't have it done with #2. I did consent with #3 and since I knew what it was going to feel like it didn't hurt either, I had it done Thurs morning and went into labor 12/1am Sat, had baby in my arms shortly after 3am.

I believe if your body is ready it might will work but if it's not, it won't.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Tell 'Em
I believe if your body is ready it might will work but if it's not, it won't.
This!
I had it done with baby 1 and baby 2 at 4wks both times and went into labor both times within 6-8hours. First labor was 18-20hours and second was 3hours. It didn't hurt (just a weird feeling there).
Now I'm due in may with baby 3 so I'll go for the stripping of I go past 40wks.
IMO it is much better than a medicated induction, and if your body is ready it will certainly have an effect!
Let us know how it goes, good luck!!!!
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
Sunshine915
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had it done at 10am-ish when I was 40+1 with DD2. It hurt! Not horrible pain, but it surprised the heck out of me. I remember grabbing onto the table and wincing, and when the doc was done, she smiled and said, "well, the good news is you went from about 1 cm dilated to 3!" I found this hilarious at the time

I started having contractions within an hour or two and my DD was born around 1am. It definitely put me into labor. Just mentally prepare yourself for possible significant discomfort if you have them stripped...it's really not awful, but being caught off guard is not fun.
Sunshine915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
samham
Registered Users
seller

I had mine done with DS but didn't go into labor for a few days after. I'm considering it (again) for this one. My next appointment is Tuesday and I'm to the point my body hurts just sleeping. But again, if baby isn't ready, it isn't going to work.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
momto2es
Registered Users
seller

Re: stripping membranes

Had it done with #1...nothing. She was 2 weeks late. Didn't bother with #2 (1 week late), and I won't bother with #3 (3 more weeks to go...give or take).

Personally, I think babies come when they're ready. If it worked, then most likely momma was about to go into labor anyway. I'm preferring to not have all of those checks and what not this time around (using a midwife) as it just sets me up for disappointment if things aren't moving along....which really means nothing anyway.
momto2es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DDC from April. Had it done with DD2. I was already beginning to dilate and efface. Didn't bother me any more than a pap smear. 12 hours later labor started hard and fast. No gradual build up, just contractions and back labor waking me up at 2 am, getting closer and closer together. Went to the hospital, got an epidural. Ended up having my water broken, and a very small does of pitocin, gave birth to DD2 24 hours after getting "stripped". As PP mentioned I think it's only useful if your body is ready (or close enough). I won't do it again unless I'm overdue.
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
sterlids
Registered Users
seller

Re: stripping membranes

thanks ladies! i agree as well that if i'm already dilating and effacing then i'll go for it but if not then they can just leave it be. i'll have my first cervical check on tuesday and make my decision from there.