Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ever had a Dr tell u not to birth at a hospital?

When we switched over to self pay we needed to find a cheaper hospital, we found one in our area that had a good self pay rate, but our Dr said he doesn't like that hospital and would recommend going somewhere else. For me I am not too concerned, I had considered a home birth and was just going with a hospital for safety precautions, but I am a little bit wondering why he thinks that hospital is no good. I have already decided to birth there since the other hospital is triple the cost. Anyone have any experience with this?

Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjslater1 View Post
When we switched over to self pay we needed to find a cheaper hospital, we found one in our area that had a good self pay rate, but our Dr said he doesn't like that hospital and would recommend going somewhere else. For me I am not too concerned, I had considered a home birth and was just going with a hospital for safety precautions, but I am a little bit wondering why he thinks that hospital is no good. I have already decided to birth there since the other hospital is triple the cost. Anyone have any experience with this?
They could have unsafe practices that he knows about. We won't use one of the hospitals around here because they have much higher rates of emergency can sections, their er is gross, and many drs won't practice there
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ever had a Dr tell u not to birth at a hospital?

Quote:
I would find that a little scary. Are there any other hospital or birth center options?
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well the saga continues, a week after my appointment the new DR send me a letter saying he is closing his practice effective June 10. What? He couldn't have told me that last week? So aggravated. So now I have to switch to a new Dr and a it will be at the more expensive hospital. Oh well if we have medical bills we have medical bills.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

DDC.
I just had to share, my doctor won't deliver at the hospital I work at. It sucks because it would have been F-R-E-E. But he says its not safe there and he didn't even renew his contract for admission privileges there. So I'm paying $900 (co-pay) to give birth at a different hospital. I could switch providers, but I know the doctors who work there and I'm not letting them anywhere near my lady parts and I wouldn't let them touch my baby with a ten foot pole. In fact I'm very pregnant right now and one of the doctors from this practice was on the elevator with me and she says, "Wow you're almost there, are you coming upstairs (maternity) to us?"
*awkward pause*..... "no"
NOT EVEN KIDDING HERE
Doctor responds, "*wink* good."
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, gingerpeachee, that's amazing! Speaks loads when the staff and/or doctors wouldn't want to be treated in a hospital or refuse to work there.

Granted, sometimes docs won't work at a hospital because they don't like the way they do charting (esp. now with more and more electronic records, some docs just don't transition well from paper. We had some trouble with that when we had to switch EMR systems due to our previous company not supporting our old system) and sometimes they just don't like one little thing or the other. Docs can be kinda childish sometimes. "My way or the highway" mentality runs big with a lot of them, so for the OP's doc it could've just been that he didn't want to go through getting priviledges at that hospital if he doesn't have many patients go there or something like that. Unless the hospital is owned by a clinic system or hires their own doctors, most of the time a doctor has to apply for "priviledges" and go through a fairly lengthy application process where their license, malpractice insurance/reports, any board certifications they have, recommendations, etc. are verified and then they have to be approved by the medical board of that hospital. Where my hospital is, we have to do this every 2 years for every doctor we have (they get 1 year after initial application and then renewal is every 2 years); it's required by the third-party accreditation firm (the stamp of approval that says this hospital follows the rules & maintains a certain level of quality).

So anyway, it's kind of a pain in the butt if they have to reapply at multiple hospitals all the time, especially if they don't have many (or any) patients on a regular basis there.

On the other hand, sometimes they know that the staff of the hospital is hard to work with or that they don't pay attention to quality or use outdated methods, whatever. They get to see the behind the scenes stuff, so I would take their opinion a little higher than the average person who has had maybe 1 or 2 experiences with a hospital when they themselves were admitted.

If you want to check out some quality data yourself, Medicare/Medicaid has a website that posts some data about specific things and conditions (like surgical quality & infection data) that hospitals are required to report. Sometimes a hospital in your area may not have data out there because they don't have enough cases for that time period to be statistically meaningful, but our small rural hospital usually has enough (we typically have about 400-450 births per year). It also has patient satisfaction survey results, so you can see how satisfied patients were with different aspects of their care and stay. It shows the hospital's results, the state's average, and the national average. Here's the link:
http://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcomp...ookieSupport=1

Your state may also have a hospital association website that also reports similar data but specific to your state. Like Wisconsin has www.wicheckpoint.org, and you can get reports on specific hospitals in Wisconsin. I like this one because it has some data about births & breastfeeding, but it's a little harder to read I think.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well turns out that hospital ranked in the 10 worst in the country, I do know people who had their baby there and were fine. Either way we are switching to the other hospital, and thank GOD I finally this week after months of trying got approved for medicaid. So hopefully the extra expense of the better hospital wont be coming out of my pocket
Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
well turns out that hospital ranked in the 10 worst in the country, I do know people who had their baby there and were fine. Either way we are switching to the other hospital, and thank GOD I finally this week after months of trying got approved for medicaid. So hopefully the extra expense of the better hospital wont be coming out of my pocket
So happy to hear that you've got health insurance!