Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Registered Users
Impossible ammonia

OK, so I am brand new to this forum, but would not be so annoying as to ask a common question (i.e. re ammonia) without doing my own homework first. But I am still at a loss.
I have a nasty ammonia problem with my diapers which I haven't been using due to the burns they leave on my 3 yr old's skin, very nasty. Here is what I have already tried:
1)Switched to every "cloth diaper safe" detergent that I could find, 1 at a time.
2)Tried a little Dawn liquid stripping.
3)Rinse cycle on hot with no soap a zillion times until no suds seen
4)Boiled in small batches in large soup pot, checking for any residual suds.
5)Washed with bleach added, also tried vinegar, and baking soda.
6)Washed with RPR
7)Put aside everything but flats, since they wash cleaner

None of the above made ANY difference whatsoever with the ammonia stink/burn. Soooooo, as a last resort I washed the diapers with 1/2 cup CLR after seeing how well it took away all the mineral deposits on DH's CPAP machine (snore support), and seeing in some posts that others had tried this on their dipes.
After the CLR I tried the cotton flat on my DD and NO STINK! But when I tried the hemp flat last night.....ammonia STINK/BURN! Now I am afraid to try another cotton flat in case the first one was just a fluke, but maybe it's just the hemp that is harder to clear. Any opinions or suggestions greatly appreciated. I am 5 months pregnant with baby #2 and thinking about just throwing in the towel and buying disposables again.

mamabumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Impossible ammonia

Ditch CD friendly detergents. They suck. I've been using either tide or gain regular scented detergents for almost 3 years now and I've never had any ammonia since, and my diapers are cleaner and looking bright and better. No issues with fabric or elastic deterioration. Trust me, you WON'T regret switching.
K&K My little firecracker Lennon 10.09, crying before he fully emerged and My little sweetheart Indi 6.12, born smiling
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
I just beat our ammonia, what worked :
Cold prewash (hot will lock in the ammonia) so they get lots of moving around in there
Hot wash with tide (cloth friendly stuff has never worked for me)
Warm wash no detergent.
Also all night time diapers get thoroughly rinsed in the morning and put in a dry pail or hung to dry, so lots of air got to them. So far so good. I had issues with day time diapers a few months ago as well and I boiled all the inserts, that worked great for all of those.
Jenna - wife to Harrison since 2007, and proud mama to miss Matilda Quinn(Sept-06-11) and mr Felix Byron (May-25-13)
jennayoung99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Yep, I do a cold prewash and soak, follwed by a long hot wash with RnG, followed by 2 or even 3 cold rinses.....I haven't had any problems as of yet....
Wife and help-meet to the love of my life, mama to J (8), S (6) C (10/9/12) and prayerfully expecting Stormageddon July 2014

tink90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Soak in vinegar overnight. It will neutralize ammonia. Wash. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle in the the next few loads.
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me!
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote