Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
How to Increase Confidence in Your Teaching Skills

Anyone know how to do this? I've taught my daughter to walk, talk, use utensils, sleep without a pacifier, sleep in a big kid bed, drink from an open-top cup, use the potty, etc., but I worry that I won't be as good as a professional teacher. I know that I care about her and her success more than anyone else and that I put a lot of effort into parenting her which will likely happen with homeschooling, too. Also, I've heard that the average homeschooled kid, despite their parents' level of education, performs better than the average public school student, but I still worry how well I will do, not the average homeschool teacher. Lastly, I have a masters degree, but it's not in education, so I don't think going back to school will make me more confident. Basically,

1) What do you say to people that say you can't do it b/c you're not a professional?
2) Is there a teaching book that isn't just about large classroom management that you'd suggest? Any great articles out there? I googled and searched on here and couldn't find anything other than theory that you can do it. I guess I also want some tips on 'how to teach.'

Thanks for any help with this.

Advertisement

Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to Increase Confidence in Your Teaching Skills

Okay, I'm going to be bluntly honest about how to increase your confidence...just do it and keeping going forward. As your child learns and you see him (or her) learning, especially to read, your confidence will grow by leaps and bounds.

As for how I answer people, I rarely have anyone question my ability. They usually ask about socialization. But, when they do, I tell them that is why I use a curriculum with a teachers guide. It tells me what they need to know and even how to teach them. I am qualified to teach my child because I am their mother and I have a brain and the ability to learn with them (or the night before) if I need to.

I don't think you need to go back to school, though I can't say I have not thought of it myself.

I have no early childhood education experience at all. Plus, I lack self confidence in life in general. So, I really struggle with having the confidence to HS my children. However, I'm now in my second year, about 2/3rds through it. My 7 year old slow reader is really picking up and starting to really read. He IS learning! Woo Hoo!! It's working!! I've second guessed myself over and over on curriculum choice and if I can even do this. Now, as I am really seeing the results paying off with reading, I'm realizing, I definitely can do this...we can do this. I need to trust my instincts because they have been correct all along. HS'ing has meant a lot of personal and parenting growth for me. It's been really good for all of us. I am SO much more confident. I still have my moments, but I think to myself, "just like reading, I'll figure it out and we will make it work."

If I can do this so can you! So, my simple answer on how to gain confidence....Just do it!!

(Oh and ask questions like crazy on forums and of BTDT moms and take their advice when it is appropriate.)

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-25-2013 at 02:30 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: How to Increase Confidence in Your Teaching Skills

I've actually had mostly positive responses from people and haven't really had to defend my choices. DH is a teacher and his co-workers are some of the most supportive people we meet. They know the limits that teachers face in a large classroom setting. There are a TON of teachers and former teachers in our area that homeschool.

As for learning how to teach...I think the most important thing is understanding your child and their learning style. Once you establish how they learn best and find a curriculum that fits with that I think it's pretty easy. Most of the curriculum I have gives instructions to the parents and it's simple. I think another important aspect of homeschool is managing your home and getting a daily routine. It's trial and error but I'm fortunate to have a large community of homeschoolers in our area. It really helps to make some homeschool friends see how they do it. Everyone does it differently and feels really strongly that their way is the right way. I just take in their suggestions and choose the things that are right for us. I haven't read this book but I did her her speak in person about homeschool and it was very encouraging to me. Maybe it would be useful for you too

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/1590525116
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote