Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Hoppinmom
Registered Users

Which method of PT worked for you?

We are thinking about starting to PT my son, who just turned 2. He is showing signs of what I think are ready signs? I have heard of several different methods, trying to figure out which one to try first that might work the best. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Hoppinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Which method of PT worked for you?

About 2.5 my younger son potty trained himself even though he was still in diapers. I never pushed it but if he asked to go I took him. Then one day he just stopped. We actively tried at age 3 and he pretty much picked it up right away. We tried at 27 months with my older son and he co-operated and wore undies full time but it was really difficult until he turned 3...we had to ask him constantly. When we got ready to PT both we made a big deal about it and took them to pick out their own undies. I'm now in the school of thought that it's best to wait until 3 but you never could have convinced me of that with my older child.

Last edited by 7mom7; 02-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
MelissaAnn
Registered Users
seller

When my oldest was 27 months, I used the 3 day method (I think it was Laura Jenson? It's an ebook). She PT'd day and night in two days.

With my youngest who just turned two (today!), I didn't do anything special. One day she just started taking off her diaper and sitting on the potty at 22 months..and I went ahead and got rid of all the diapers and let her go bottomless. She was accident free in 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
WinterBaby
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the opposite school as 7mom7... We started with my DS when he was 3 and it was very difficult. But it could also be that we used no particular method. We started with my DD at 22 months using Oh Crap Potty Training, and it worked great. She was showing signs like your LO and I wanted to jump in and get started before she hit the "terrible 2's/3's.". I swear by Oh Crap Potty Training! The author has a blog, forum for Q & A, and radio call in show too. Your LO is just the right age for that method and you may be in a great window of opportunity right now. And I just wanted to add that it might not be quick and easy (it wasn't for us either time), but DD was definitely ready at 22 months and it was so great to see how proud of herself she was and listen to her say, "I did it!". Go for it!

Last edited by WinterBaby; 02-25-2013 at 05:03 PM.
WinterBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first we listened to everyone else that said at 2 he was ready and needed to be potty trained. We ended up with a year of back and forth and more tears on everyones part. He was not ready at all. I should have listened to myself. He didn't care one bit.

with our 2nd we waited until he was ready and that was a few months before he was 3. He seemed interested so we did some naked time at home and he did amazing. Maybe one accident. He was in diapers when out and about and naps/night. After about a month of using the potty all on his own with minimal reminders from me and using the potty when out and about and telling me when he needed to use it, we went to underware full time during the day. He did great. No accidents. It was a breeze to potty train him.

I firmly believe that when the child is ready it is easy with minimal pressure with parents. I refuse to be responsible for makeing sure my child uses the potty so he/she doesn't have accidents. That is not potty training. Also I refuse to spend hours, weeks, months working on it. If they dont get it pretty quick or show any signs of not wanting to or getting frustrated we stop and revisit it in a few weeks. Nor do I want to clean up a bunch of accidents. Many accidents IMO means they are not ready.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
With my first we listened to everyone else that said at 2 he was ready and needed to be potty trained. We ended up with a year of back and forth and more tears on everyones part. He was not ready at all. I should have listened to myself. He didn't care one bit.

with our 2nd we waited until he was ready and that was a few months before he was 3. He seemed interested so we did some naked time at home and he did amazing. Maybe one accident. He was in diapers when out and about and naps/night. After about a month of using the potty all on his own with minimal reminders from me and using the potty when out and about and telling me when he needed to use it, we went to underware full time during the day. He did great. No accidents. It was a breeze to potty train him.

I firmly believe that when the child is ready it is easy with minimal pressure with parents. I refuse to be responsible for makeing sure my child uses the potty so he/she doesn't have accidents. That is not potty training. Also I refuse to spend hours, weeks, months working on it. If they dont get it pretty quick or show any signs of not wanting to or getting frustrated we stop and revisit it in a few weeks. Nor do I want to clean up a bunch of accidents. Many accidents IMO means they are not ready.
Yeah, it was really stressful with my oldest but I felt like since I had committed and played it up that we had to stick with it. We used the 3 day PT method with our oldest but it was miserable. It actually turned into 7 days of not leaving the house and 1 year of constantly making him go potty, another 2 years of him running to us to tell us he needed to go potty rather than just going on his own, and he didn't make it in time last week and had an accident in the bathroom (he's 5). He still waits until the last minute to go where as our 3 year old that we just started almost exactly one month ago woke up dry this morning and played for about an hour before he was ready to go potty, used the potty and has been dry all day. He makes it to the bathroom with plenty of time to get his undies off and sit before having an accident. It takes him a while to strip down b/c he's not the most coordinated kid We've put all the responsibility on him. I cleaned up more accidents on day 1 with DS1 than I have in a month with DS2.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
WinterBaby
Registered Users
seller

I find that the pressure is the opposite here - no one expected me to train DD at 2; the norm is 3 here. I think each family needs to trust their gut as to when the best time is for each child, and siblings may be different. For many kids, since this is a learning process, it may not be smooth. That doesn't mean the child isn't ready. The original poster asked for methods to use, so I hope others will weigh in with additional suggestions. I didn't include many details in my earlier post, but Oh Crap Potty Training is not a 3 day method. There are 3+ days of naked time at home in the beginning and you will be watching your child closely and slowing down your life in the beginning. It worked really well for us, and DD is now day trained (took about a month or two to be really solid but we had a trip in the middle) and even stays dry for most naps and sometimes at night even though we didn't do anything specific about naps and night. She learned to push down her pants during the process and become aware of her body and when she needs to go.

Last edited by WinterBaby; 02-25-2013 at 06:25 PM.
WinterBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Junglebugg225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterBaby
I'm in the opposite school as 7mom7... We started with my DS when he was 3 and it was very difficult. But it could also be that we used no particular method. We started with my DD at 22 months using Oh Crap Potty Training, and it worked great. She was showing signs like your LO and I wanted to jump in and get started before she hit the "terrible 2's/3's.". I swear by Oh Crap Potty Training! The author has a blog, forum for Q & A, and radio call in show too. Your LO is just the right age for that method and you may be in a great window of opportunity right now. And I just wanted to add that it might not be quick and easy (it wasn't for us either time), but DD was definitely ready at 22 months and it was so great to see how proud of herself she was and listen to her say, "I did it!". Go for it!
Thanks for sharing your method! I'm totally looking it up!! Thanks!!!
Junglebugg225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Reagansmama
Registered Users
seller

I used potty boot camp for my dd1 who potty trained at 20 months. I loved it. She was very ready and I did a ton of prep work with her the few months before it but I highly recommend it.
Reagansmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

We did Oh Crap potty training also, starting when my son was 26 months old. He was ready sooner but we had a lot of trips to places without public restrooms readily available so I didn't want to start and then have to stop. It was quite easy.