Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #11
MarieSeeking
Registered Users
seller

I flew every 4-6 weeks of my pregnancy. Including Hawaii at 30 weeks, across country (to be a bridesmaid) at 33 weeks, and finally a short 45 minute hop at 36 weeks. I was fairly small but I never had any issues. No one even asked how far along I was for any reason other than being friendly.

If the flight was over an hour (most are), I just got up and walked around. I drank plenty of water. I never had problems with my belly in the way or anything.

And for full disclosure, I had a really awesome pregnancy with no complications. I'm sure my answer would be different had my pregnancy been not so easy going.

Advertisement

MarieSeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Question about Flying while pregnant

Mostly the reason they don't want you to fly in the last weeks of pregnancy is because the don't want to deliver a baby in flight. there are minor risks, most of them just discomfort.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I second the note thing. The gate agent and through security they asked for it but I live in dc so they are super careful. Also second that your doctor will advise against it past 36 week which means your return flight has to be before that timeline. They basically don't want you to go into labor on the plane or in a city where you are not familiar. There is no higher risk of premature labor as a result of flying.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
Just be aware of the various risks and inconveniences:

Increased risk of blood clots
Increased likelihood of airsickness
Possible radiation risk
Awkward airplane bathrooms
Narrow airplane aisles

I was on a flight with two other heavily pregnant women and trying to pass each other in the aisle involved a lot of contortions and shoving various body parts into the faces of other passengers.
yes if you have a long flight make sure to get up and walk around/stretch. I flew cross country and stood in the back by bathrooms and did stretches and walked up and down the aisles. I always make sure to get an aisle seat too so i don't have to squeeze by anyone and can get up for potty breaks ect. as i please
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got my BFP (10 DPO) on vacation and flew back across the country at 11 or 12 DPO.

MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh I forgot to add...I wore knee high hose and had less swelling in my legs than at home
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Mostly the reason they don't want you to fly in the last weeks of pregnancy is because the don't want to deliver a baby in flight. there are minor risks, most of them just discomfort.
This. I just flew at 32 weeks and this is what my midwife told me beforehand. Although, she did mention to make sure I get up and walk around a couple of times because of the blood clot thing. I generally think that's good advice for anyone on a flight longer than an hour or 2.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote