Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
AHASRADA
Registered Users
seller

I always nursed my dc to sleep. Once they weaned, they continued to snuggle and play with my hair to fall asleep, after which we carried them to their own beds (or zombie-walked them when they got too heavy to carry). Snuggling and hair twirling evolved into reading stories as a family in my bed, and then going to their own room to sleep. That transition happened at about age 10. By 13 or so, they just go straight to bed and I'm lucky to get a "goodnight, mom.". I have no regrets about not creating bedtime battles. They will evolve to sleep on their own when they're ready. They won't still be sleeping with you when they're 16, so cherish the snuggles why they last!

Advertisement

AHASRADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing to sleep?

Completely natural and IMO best thing for baby. I've nursed all 3 for naps and bedtime. Don't let anyone sway what your doing. Best advice I ever got why change it if it doesn't bother you? Enjoy him while he is little. It goes by all to fast.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
KingsDaughter76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have always nursed all of mine to sleep for naps and bedtimes etc.. never had any issues and would never do it any other way- they are only little once and grow up wayyy too fast!
:-)
Kellina ~Wife to a Cowboy & Christian Homeschooling Mama to 9 kids and YES we would love to have more! Baby #9 is here!! IT'S A GIRL!! Born Oct 1st 2014!!
Forever missing my 7 m/c babies now safe in the arms of Jesus EARN Amazon giftcards for FREE!! Click to sign up for SWAGBUCKS!!
KingsDaughter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
Crunchymommmy
Registered Users
Do NOT FSOT~File with Paypal**

My Mood:
My little one is four months and I nurse to sleep an for naps. As soon as he is down for naps I put him in his crib and he's fine. And for bedtime we cosleep. Everyone is always telling me its a bad habit to start and that he will never be able to sleep on his own. I just ignore, he is my child and I will do what I feel is best. Just like all the other "advice" people want to give new moms you have to learn to ignore and do what you think is best for your family.
Crunchymommmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Never nursed any of mine to sleep. We help our babies learn to fall asleep on their own from just a couple of weeks of age. Makes naptime and bedtime a breeze, with never an issue. Kiss, prayer, lay them down, and to sleep they put themselves. If they wake at night (rarely), they put themselves right back to sleep after just 3 months of age. No crying, no drama to get to sleep.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DP
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.

Last edited by GEMQEMCABOOSE; 03-01-2013 at 06:39 AM.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #17
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camsmom13
I nurse my 3.5 month old to sleep and I have no plans to stop as long as he is breast feeding. I've been warned not to do this for much longer by well meaning friends who I think may have gone overboard on the "sleep training" books, and classes, and forums ect... What's your take on this? I think it's natural and it's what my baby needs for now. But I'm also a first time mom with no reference point and am flying by the seat of my pants . Discuss
I haven't read the other replies, but if it feels right to you, do it!!

I nursed DD to sleep and although I felt a little tied down during that time it was awesome. Nurse, sleep, boom. Easy. She stopped nursing to sleep at around 18 months when she weaned and by age 2 she was a completely independent sleeper. We had a few steps between nursing and sleep independence, but all in all it was a pleasant experience. DD would not have responded well to sleep training, IMO, b/c she gets more wound up from crying and would have probably cried all night if we would have left her.

I would have loved to nurse DS to sleep, but he is a paci baby and just sucks on that to sleep. Kind of the same thing, just without needing me there. It makes me a little sad b/c I don't get to spend the same amount of time with him at night.

Anyways, there's my BTDT experience. Listen to your gut and do what you feel comfortable with. You don't have to sleep train just b/c everybody else it! good luck!!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

i think u are ok. as i have talk to moms around me.... u do what works for u....
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
sparksmomma
Registered Users
seller

I am still nursing my 7mo ds to sleep and while I have moments I wish his daddy could put him to bed, I still treasure every second we get to bond while he is nursing. I wouldn't trade that for anything!
sparksmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I nurse my ds 14M to sleep and have since be was born. We are just starting to try to adjust this a bit b/c he is up every 3-4hrs still at night. I don't mind for the most part, but I'd like him to accept dh for comfort too. Especially since he's really not nursing for nutrition at night anymore, just for comfort. So I nurse him most of the way to sleep, but delatch him as he's slowing down & is nice and comfy. Then dh takes over & rocks him & lays him down in a crib close to our bed. Up to now we were cosleeping & I was nursing him side lying throughout the night. I never gave nursing him to sleep a second thought when he was younger. It was what was best for us then. We do need to make a transition at this point & are trying to do so gradually (in a way that is least stressful for all of us). During the day he nurses when he wants & I nurse him to sleep for his nap.
Things adjust as you go as needed & even each kid can be different. My dd was a binky girl & that was her comfort through the night. She would nurse, but then pop in her binky for the night.

As others have said, it's really what ever is best for you & your family. You'll adjust when you need to, if you need to, but don't worry about what others think you should do. Each situation & each family is unique.

Good job though mama! Nursing is so rewarding for both baby & mama! Such a special bond you will share always

Last edited by Liaklong; 03-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote