Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Are thse diapers causing rashes?

I have an 8 month old. I use cloth during the day and disposables at night since I have a heavy wetter. We currently use pockets with a few fitteds mixed in.

My problem is that my son has really bad diaper rash and instead of getting better it seems to be getting worse. I thought cloth diapers were supposed to help with diaper rash so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I always do a cold pre-wash with bacout, just switched to Eco Sprouts (3 TBS per load per the instructions) in hot water with a capfull of Calgon followed by one to two extra cold rinse cycles to get rid of any extra detergent so I don't think detergent buildup is the cause. Just to be on the safe side I also just stripped all of the diapers on Sunday with blue Dawn. I also spray each diaper with bacout before I put it in the diaper pail. Is it possible that is too much bacout?

He gets changed pretty frequently. He does seem to have a bit of diarrhea/pooping a lot more frequently, probably due to teething as a couple of new teeth are coming in. I use flushable liners to help aid with poop and I'm wondering if maybe these are causing the problem? I also use Grandma Els Diaper Rash Cream, which I read is safe to use with cloth diapers.

Has anyone else experienced this or can offer any advice? I'm really confused. They've had a few cases of diaper rash in the past with the disposables, but this seems to be worse and my son started screaming when I had to wipe his bottom with the each diaper change and I just feel awful. He's not sleeping well and I think this is because of the rash. At this point I'm tempted to give up the cloth and go back to disposables but I thought I would post here first.

Is this rash because of the diapers? They don't smell before or after peeing. Any ideas?

Advertisement

jensmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Are thse diapers causing rashes?

He could be sensitive to enzymes from BacOut, synthetic materials or PUL. I'd eliminate one at a time to see if it helps.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
wifey09
Registered Users
seller

Wow that is a lot of bacout! That stuff is strong! I would cut that out and see.
wifey09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
McDMom
Registered Users

I use that much BacOut and don't have a problem. However, your LO might be sensitive to it or maybe it's not being rinsed out enough.
I liked Eco Sprout but had to use more than the recommended amount to make it work for me.
Is it an all over rash or chafing? Is it ammonia burn? Could it be yeast? Are the diapers stay dry? If not he might be sensitive to wetness (especially teething pee - very acidic due to excess drool swallowing).

Last edited by McDMom; 03-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.
McDMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=McDMom;16349261]I use that much BacOut and don't have a problem. However, your LO might be sensitive to it or maybe it's not being rinsed out enough.
I liked Eco Sprout but had to use more than the recommended amount to make it work for me.
Is it an all over rash or chafing? Is it ammonia burn? Could it be yeast? Are the diapers stay dry? If not he might be sensitive to wetness (especially teething pee - very acidic due to excess drool swallowing).[/QUOTE

I was thinking about needing to use more soap. I use 3 Tbs which is already like double what I used with Rockin Green. He is super sensitive, though and I did just start adding bacout to our prewash. Maybe I need to just do one or the other (spray each used dipe or add to prewash). My gut is telling me it's the bacout.

It is an all over rash...everywhere but his crack, so that is why I am thinking it's the dipes. I don't smell any ammonia--we have had ammonia issues before which is why I added the extra bacout and the calgon. I thought about yeast because it seems like nothing is helping, but I am not sure. I have a mixture of BGs 4.0s and Charlie Bananas and Sbish, so the BGs are stay dry, but not the others.

How much Eco Sprouts do you use?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
McDMom
Registered Users

We have average water and a front loader and I had to use 3-4T.
Yea, BacOut in one way not both seems the easiest thing to do, and maybe upping or changing your detergent.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

So my question now is how do I strip the diapers if it is too much bacout? Do I just use blue dawn or something else?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
McDMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname
So my question now is how do I strip the diapers if it is too much bacout? Do I just use blue dawn or something else?
BacOut enzymes are killed by hot water. A few hot rinses should do it. Blue dawn is a degreaser and won't do much for that.

Last edited by McDMom; 03-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
McDMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname View Post
I wouldn't strip or use anything to get rid of the Bacout. Just wash once with your detergent and do 2-3 rinses.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

And the next question is how do I get rid of this horrible rash? Seems like nothing is helping. I have him in disposables now with some coconut oil and some desitin. Any tips?