Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Are thse diapers causing rashes?

If the sposies and desitin don't really touch it (and you should know within a day, I'd imagine), then I'd assume it's yeast. (Yeast is usually beefy red and can be raised in my kids.) You can try Lotrimin on it if the desitin doesn't work after a day. (Lotrimin is an anti fungal foot cream that really can zap yeast quickly!)

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

could be sensitive to detergent, bzcout, cream. try seem and gynelotromin. year from pi. my daughter hers with runs....
Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

What does the rash Look like? Where on his bum is it?

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.
Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

The rash looks like a sunburn and it's hot. It is a little raised and swollen, but not in the crack, just the rest of the diaper area. It is mostly sensitive on his lower back where the diaper touches directly on his skin. It is super sensitive and he screams now when I just lay him on the changing table in anticipation of the discomfort. Poor baby
jensmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname
The rash looks like a sunburn and it's hot. It is a little raised and swollen, but not in the crack, just the rest of the diaper area. It is mostly sensitive on his lower back where the diaper touches directly on his skin. It is super sensitive and he screams now when I just lay him on the changing table in anticipation of the discomfort. Poor baby
That sounds like what my kids look like when yet have an ammonia burn. Are you having any issues with ammonia, by chance? A splash of bleach in the wash or upping the amount of detergent usually helps kill ammonia for us.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

It is probably caused by him pooping more. DS2 got a bad diaper rash today and doesn't want anything touching it. He has been pooping a lot the past couple days and ate a ton fruit since yesterday. I think the fruit and his teething contributed to the rash. With DS1, I battled diaper rash from the day he was born. He has really sensitive skin and even having his diaper changed immediately after he pooped still gave him a rash. Finally when he PLed the rash went away since poop is not touching his skin.
Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #17
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Yes we have had issues with ammonia, which is why I added bacout to our prewash and changed detergent along with adding a water softner. We were just doing a cold-hot-cold wash routine with rockin green, but I read that eco sprouts was good for hard water and ammonia issues and then added calgon to deal with our hard water.

If it is ammonia, should I just get all of my dipes and just wash them all again with more detergent? How do I know its enough detergent? I can't just keep burning my baby's bum until I find the right amount.

I'm sorry for the sarcasm, but I am so frustrated. I feel like I have done nothing but edit my wash routine for 2 months and stripped my diapers so many times that I just feel like quitting.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #18
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

If it was caused by frequent poopies, then you would definitely see evidence of that in the crack as well as on his little cheeks.
Given the amount of detergent and other products that you are using, I highly doubt that it is yeast or ammonia.
It sounds to me like he is sensitive to the pockets. Neither of my little ones could wear our BG pockets (that I spent a small fortune on when I first starting CDing). Pockets are notorious for causing rashes. There are a number of past threads where one mom after another says that they caused her LO to break out.
It is an easy thing to figure out, though - just switch back to sposies for a few days and see if it gets better. Sounds like you could use a little cloth break, anyway, mama. After it clears up, give your LO a few days to be better, then try the pockets again. If it comes right back, you'll know.
Right now, though, especially with it getting so bad, I would switch to sposies temporarily and focus more of your energy on getting him better. It could even be that he has a sensitivity to the synthetics compounded by a yeast infection, but you'll figure that out pretty quickly, too, since yeast persists no matter what kind of diaper you use (non-CD kids get them, too). If it is yeast, you will need an antifungal or Rx to clear it up.
Clear up the rash, than do some trial and error.
Also, if you ever notice that he is definitely getting a rash from frequent poopies, make a paste out of Maalox & Aquafor. No, it isn't CD friendly AT ALL, so you'll have to switch for a day or two, but it definitely WORKS. I actually used to add a dab of Badger Balm to the mix, too, just for good measure.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #19
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

Another thing about ammonia - if you have it, you know it! Ammonia STINKS when you pull off the diaper, and especially when it has sat in the pail for the better part of a day or two. It will make you wonder why you don't own a gas mask. If you aren't sure you have ammonia, than you probably don't. The best way to combat either ammonia or detergent build-up (yes, that is possible, too) is to use your regular detergent in a main wash, and then follow it up with several hot washes, making sure that you aren't washing too many diapers for the amount of water in your machine, and that they look and smell clean (like nothing) when they come out.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

I've done a full day of disposables and desitin and it is looking a ton better, so I know it isn't yeast. I also took half of my stash and washed it with some extra soap and then rinsed several times and dried them in the dryer (which I usually line dry, but thought a little heat would help kill whatever). I am going to do one more day of disposables and then try the cloth again.

I know it isn't a sensitivity to pockets because he has been wearing them since he was about 3 months old with no issue. It's all of a sudden and the only change is adding bacout to my prewash, changing my detergent, and adding calgon.

We shall see.