Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me it will be better next time!

anyway to see a chiro to help postion babe better to maybe avoid back and long labor? Also walking around.leaning over ball feels a lot better than trying to sit through back labor in a hossy bed. showers feel nice too. but every prego is diff. my 1st 2 were the exact same and then next 2 completely diff. and easier. you never kow but can do things to cope and get babe in a good postion

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

I've never heard of getting a chiropractor to position the baby, I will have to ask my midwife about that!

I walked around a lot during my labour, maybe too much because I was exhausted and then the contractions slowed from 5 mins apart to 10-14. I felt pressured to keep doing things to keep the labour progressing.

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can also check out spinningbabies.com for ideas on getting baby in a better position for birthing.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It happens relatively often that a woman having a VBAC can have a hard time progressing in labor because she is afraid - maybe of failing and needing another section, or of rupturing, or of the pain becoming unbearable, or whatever. That could have been a factor in your first VBAC? And even if it wasn't, a first time birth is pretty much always the hardest. Second babies are usually quite a bit easier.
I second the "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" suggestion. She's quite a hippie, and you'll probably find some of the stuff in the book a little OTT. I did. But, she's really good at identifying the mind/body connection in labor, and at encouraging you to see that your body was made for this and you can do it! I've read her book shortly before the birth of most of my babies, just for encouragement. Her clinic accepts patients of all sorts - VBACs, breech babies, twins, etc, and they have a 2% intervention rate. 2%! That includes c-sections, episiotomies, and forceps deliveries. And they have a great mother/child outcome rate. They are VERY GOOD at birth.

And, I think a doula is a great idea too.

All the best with your next delivery!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
ambie719
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good luck! You can do it!

My first was also a c-sec, my second was a 10 hour posterior vbac with almost 2 hours of pushing and an epidural, and my third was 1.5 hours from start to finish with only about 20 min of pushing and no meds at all.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #16
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't let myself read sad/unideal labor stories, I wouldn't listen to any offered in person, and I read as many positive labor stories as I could. I learned as much as I could about the birthing process, there was so much I didn't know even though I had already had a child. And I utilized water, it wasn't a tub but a shower with the hose jet on my lower back, the water was just amazing feeling.
I will say that my second labor was precipitous, so that's not a normal labor, but it still as incredible.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vie.en.Rose View Post
What did you do differently?
First birth was managed in hospital by the on-call OB, whom I'd never met. the room was full - the doc and three or four nurses crammed around me. They wouldn't let me push when my body wanted to (I'm now sure it was because THEY weren't ready), then did the whole push on your back, count to ten thing. I had people yelling at me, a baby with a nuchal hand and decels (maybe because he was crammed in the birth canal while I had to wait to push?!?) and a 3rd degree episiotomy. It sucked and the birth felt completely disconnected to the baby.

Second time, I went with midwives, spent a LOT of time talking about what I didn't want and basically took back control. Still birthed in hospital but only the two midwives were in the room and they were supporting me rather than managing me.

Also, both births were precipitous labour. Active labour with my son was just over two hours. Active labour with my daughter (from when it was clearly real labour and not more Braxton hicks) was about 45 mins to an hour. VERY intense. But the first time around, I thought I had hours to go when I was actually in transition and I completely lost focus. Second time, I knew my body better and felt that the pain and intensity was productive so I was able to manage it mentally much better.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Thank you! That is very helpful and reassuring!!

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sending you positive vibes for a great labour and birth this time around!