Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
Registered Users
Help with dd who refuses to poop in the potty

So we have been working on pling with dd (will be 3 yrs on Wednesday) for a few months now and she is pretty close to day trained for #1. But I cannot figure out how to get her to poop in the potty. When we are at home, we don't put a diaper on her until naptime, but she immediately poops in her diaper. In fact, after we put her down for her nap, she normally walks out only a few minutes later and announces (proudly) that she has poop in her diaper. We have tried every incentive we can think of, and we have praised her like crazy the occasional time that she has gone in the potty, but nothing seems to be working. We always put her on the potty before her nap, but she waits until she has her diaper on pretty much every time. She has also had a few poop accidents in her underwear during the day. Is there anything else we can do to encourage her?

penguinande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Help with dd who refuses to poop in the potty

Some kids are very resistant to pooping in the potty. My older daughter was the same way. She was day and night trained around 2 years 4 months, but would not poop in the potty. She would ask for a diaper. My nephew did the same thing. He finally decided to poop in the potty for one of those really big lollipops (my brother had it on the counter as an incentive for several months).

With our daughter, we told her that 3 year olds pooped in the potty. So just after she turned 3, I spent a day at home with her with her naked from the waist down. She had to go really bad but I wouldn't give her a diaper. I basically followed her around with her little plastic potty, and when she couldn't hold it any longer, she squatted a little bit and I "caught" it in the potty. Then she sat down to finish. She was surprised that it was that easy. She said that she had been afraid to go on the potty. But from then on, she pooped in the potty.
wife to John (8/5/00) mom to D (7), A (4.5), and N (2)
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Help with dd who refuses to poop in the potty

My son was completely potty trained by 2.5 but asked for a diaper when he had to poop. We kept offering bribes for pooping in the potty (things he REALLY wanted), and at one point he pooped in the potty for a week just for the bribe and then went back to diapers! BUT at some point he was just ready (at about 3...) and diddnt go back to the diapers. Then we had to transition him to the toilet - the step ladder toilet potty got him doing it on the toilet. Give it time. Talk about how gross it is to have poop on her. don't pressure too much. She won't be in diapers forever!
keidlog is offline   Reply With Quote