Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Foster moms: non-stop eaters???

n/t. thanks for the help!

Advertisement

Last edited by ~*~Sunflower~*~; 03-12-2013 at 03:12 PM.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: non-stop eaters???

3lb weight loss in 10 days is a lot for a child that age. He may need to lose weight but you might want to do it more slowly. He maybe truly hungry. Just my first thought.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: non-stop eaters???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerrn View Post
3lb weight loss in 10 days is a lot for a child that age. He may need to lose weight but you might want to do it more slowly. He maybe truly hungry. Just my first thought.
he is eating a ton! The weight loss was not intentional, we found out incidentally. My kids eat 3 full meals & snack (a lot! LOL). On top of that he is getting 24 oz of milk/day (the rest of the kids dont drink milk). I don't think it is possible for him to be hungry! Honestly, unless he has a health issue (mom says he does not), there is no way!!! I mean, I just caught him looking at me jealously as I drank water! No joke! LOL
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Re: Foster moms: non-stop eaters???

Every foster kid I've encountered has had food issues. I think it just comes with the territory??? I really have no advice. Nothing I've ever done has made it better. I have tried offering unlimited veggies, but even those they eat through until they are gone. Sigh...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

We all eat at the same time and when we are done that is it. I make sure he gets plenty of food to eat of course but I do not let him over indulge. He will sneak food if he can but I just keep it our of reach and if I am not in view I gate off the kitchen. Little-Man will be two in May. He will just keep eating until there is no more food. The other day within no more than two hours he ate two sandwiches, four pieces of pizza, and a cookie..... he still wanted to keep eating. (I do not normally let him eat this much but there were special circumstances that lead to me realizing later how much he ate in such a short time)
Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Being a child who was neglected/abused and then moved to a safe house my parents said I ate, stole , horded food. They said it was because I was in control of that and also I didn't know when I would eat again. even as an adult I have a very hard time when ppl touch my food or plate. I also hide food if I really don't want to share.

Personally if your eating he should be offered. If your drinking he should be offered and he may need many small meals until he gets used to the environment.

This is just from my experience. Hugs
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Being a child who was neglected/abused and then moved to a safe house my parents said I ate, stole , horded food. They said it was because I was in control of that and also I didn't know when I would eat again. even as an adult I have a very hard time when ppl touch my food or plate. I also hide food if I really don't want to share.

Personally if your eating he should be offered. If your drinking he should be offered and he may need many small meals until he gets used to the environment.

This is just from my experience. Hugs
Thank you for sharing!
We definitely give him food/drink whenever anyone else has it. My kids snack often, so we have lots of opportunities. unfortunatly, we still find him trying to get food from the trash, trying to eat non-food substances,etc.

It is sad to think that this food behavior could already be ingrained into who he is.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our dfs came to us like that. He screamed whenever he saw food. He screamed from the moment his eyes opened until he started shoveling food in. He ate until he vomited until we realized what was going on, same with his siblings at the other foster home. He was at 8 months old.

Just keep giving him lots of frequent snacks. After about 4 or 5 months our little guy got the hint that he was going to continue to get fed. He packed on theweight quickly because well for one we fed him but also we got him on reflux meds so he didnt throw up everything he ate. I would assume the weight loss in your case might be more about him being more active. He could have been in a pack and play all day long or something.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
juclark77
Registered Users

Creating a Family just had a great podcast on food issues adopted kids have. It was with a food doctor from an adoption medical clinic. It might be really helpful for you to listen to. There are some older shows about food issues as well if you want to hear more.

http://www.creatingafamily.org/radio...ted%20Children
juclark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank everyone! I appreciate the replies! I will check out that podcast!