Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

AROM

Whats the benefit to refusing this? With both my kids the doc or MW broke my water. Is there any benefit to letting them break on their own? My labor for sure went faster the 2nd time after the AROM.

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee
Whats the benefit to refusing this? With both my kids the doc or MW broke my water. Is there any benefit to letting them break on their own? My labor for sure went faster the 2nd time after the AROM.
The benefits are avoiding potential risks of the procedure (cord prolapse if baby is still to high, increased likelihood of infection, baby settling into an unfavorable position), and an intact bag helps protect the cord from compression.

It's like any other intervention, in that it can have benefits when used appropriately. It just had to be weighed against possible risks.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: AROM

I think I was like 8cm when my MW broke my water with my second. And I feel like I was pushing maybe 5 minutes later.... but its all kind of a blur.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

The benefits are avoiding potential risks of the procedure (cord prolapse if baby is still to high, increased likelihood of infection, baby settling into an unfavorable position), and an intact bag helps protect the cord from compression.

It's like any other intervention, in that it can have benefits when used appropriately. It just had to be weighed against possible risks.
This.

Plus most hospitals will put a mom on a 24hr clock to have the baby to avoid infection. Can result in c/s.

Laboring with intact bag of water is supposed to be more comfortable for mom. Gives a cushion between head and pelvic bones.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I think I was like 8cm when my MW broke my water with my second. And I feel like I was pushing maybe 5 minutes later.... but its all kind of a blur.
I have seen (as a doula) situations where mom has been laboring steadily without progress because the bag is keeping the baby from completely/even applying pressure to the cervix, so then AROM allowed baby to put direct pressure on the cervix and complete dilation quickly. I have also seen a situation where they did AROM hoping if would speed things up, but baby got settled in a VERY unfavorable position and mom almost had to have a cesarean. It took five additional hours of rest and repositioning to allow baby to rotate properly and then be born.

I don't think it's fair to label interventions or birth options as "good" or "bad" or "better" than other choices - there are WAY too many variables to have a black and white list of the perfect/best birth choices. :-) The key is being in agreement (philosophically) with a provider you trust, having open communication about benefits and risks of different choices, and making the best decision for YOU with the information you have at the time. Does that make sense?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I just wonder about it because ladies always talk about SROM even during labor and I've never experienced that. They have to break sometime and I trust my midwife with my life... which is why I picked her.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
I just wonder about it because ladies always talk about SROM even during labor and I've never experienced that. They have to break sometime and I trust my midwife with my life... which is why I picked her.
That's the best! Having a trusting relationship with your care provider is one of the keys to having a safe and satisfying birth experience. :-) Making a decision about when to rupture the waters takes wisdom and experience, and there are definitely times when it's the best choice for situation. :-)

In my case, my DD's head was actually born still in the sack. I was really thankful for that because it protected her from getting colonized with GBS (I was positive and didn't have time to do antibiotics), but if my labor had been held back by her waters still being intact, we would have made a decision to AROM possibly.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
With my first the mw broke the bag while I was pushing.

With my second, I was dilated but not yet pushing. The dr asked if i was ok to have arom. He said it wasn't benefiting me any more. I trusted him. Right as the nurse was handing the Dr the hook thingy, my water broke spontaneously.

Like all things with birth, a mama needs to pick the right dr/mw. A procedure done for the wrong reasons is an intervention, done for the right reasons is a life saver.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think I'd be too upset about AROM at an 8, if I was stalling or something.
I don't think it's a good idea to start labor that way. Just because labor can be harder, you get put on a clock, etc.

Now my friend's baby was just born 'in the caul' 2 weeks ago and I hear that's good luck so, nothing wrong with the water not breaking either