Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
mama2seth&trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anybody using Coconut Oil?

I used it to help some scars heal after I had chest tubes, it made them not itch so badly. I've used it instead of lotion for seriously dry skin. I also use it in my homemade deodorant.

Advertisement

mama2seth&trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
Coler
Registered Users

My Mood:

Seems like a excellent oil! I need to pick some up
Coler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2seth&trey View Post
I used it to help some scars heal after I had chest tubes, it made them not itch so badly. I've used it instead of lotion for seriously dry skin. I also use it in my homemade deodorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
One tip I've found re: using it as a lotion is to have a dedicated silicone ice cube tray in which you pour melted coconut oil with a little essential oil mixed in (optional), and then pop them out into a jar kept below 70 degrees. It's still more awkward than lotion to apply and takes a while to sink in.

That said, I've found I really don't like coconut oil by itself as a lotion. Next time I'm going to mix it with cocoa butter.

I do use it as the base for a natural deodorant, but I have such an underarm issue that I use about 3x as many odor killers as I do coconut oil. C.O. by itself would only work for someone who rarely sweats or smells.

I've also made a diaper rash cream for my friends w/ C.O. as a base. For non rash days it seems a lot of parents find plain C.O. just fine. For that purpose, I would recommend my above ice tray suggestion. It melts on contact well.
Ok, what are your homemade deodorant recipes? I have been thinking of trying to make or buy some "natural" deodorant, but as it is, I seriously need full strength Secret for my pits . . . I STINK by the end of the day even if I use Dove deodorant.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
kirstkat
Registered Users

We use it for all of our frying/sautéing/etc. I use it as a really light sunscreen, like if I'll only be out for a little while I'll put it on my face and my tattoo. I think some people use it as an all day sunscreen but I'm so pale I mostly just try to wear more clothes, I haven't really wanted to test out its limits.
kirstkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

EmilyMae,

A lot of the DIY recipes add bakingsoda and cornstarch and tea tree oil to the coconut oil. There are abundant recipes for this online, but I found them both too harsh too my skin and too ineffective.

I use naturally extracted baking soda (Bob's Red Mill; it really seems to make a difference for some of us in terms of skin sensitivity), arrowroot powder, and french pressed zinc oxide powder. I'm not a fan of using tea tree oil for deodorant, so I came up with some different blends of essential oils that cover the main areas. Sage has been studied in the middle east for its dramatic ability to reduce sweat production after repeated applications, so that goes in all of them even though it has a strong earthy scent (the zinc oxide actually eats almost all of the scents up; I was disappointed to realize that after having worked hard to come up with aromatherapeutic and deodorizing scents that could blend with sage, lol). I always use some citrus oils in the blend for their antiseptic, astringent, and deodorizing properties. Other oils that could be useful are lavender and ylang ylang (and only in very tiny amounts, basil and mint). Castor oil helps it to go on and also helps shrink pores and contains a lot of zinc. (Castor oil in a carrier oil at night is also a good way to unplug your underarm glands while making the awkward transition from clinical to natural deodorants.) Cocoa butter is optional. I always add tamanu oil for its incredible healing abilities b/c I have sensitive skin. All in a base of C.O. and organic beeswax . It probably took me a dozen recipes to get just the right blend for me, and I suspect that very few women will need AS much of the powders in their recipe. If you are just making it for yourself and don't mind keeping it in the fridge all summer, you could skip the beeswax. It might actually be more effective without the beeswax. I need to do some more experiments. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable sharing the exact ratios here b/c I sometimes think of trying to sell it (but it's really quite pricey to make, so probably not). But in reality, picking a recipe and dialing it up or down from there on a by person basis is probably what you need to do anyhow. Honestly it took me about a dozen tries to find one that worked for me and that was after doing a ton of research. So, no, I don't think it's easy for stinky peops to make the natural deodorant switch. I should also say that I tried several of the natural deodorants in the store that were reputed to be the strongest--no go! Just keep in mind natural baking soda, arrowroot instead of cornstarch (arrowroot/cornstarch helps mop up some of the sweat, giving it a slightly anti-perspirant property, and a lot of people, at least, are less sensitive to arrowroot), and zinc oxide for those of us who really need more power. If you just have regular cornstarch and baking soda on hand mix just a dab of them with coconut oil, and try that on your pits for a couple of days to see if you are sensitive or not. You'll probably get quite a burn after a couple of days if you are.

I hope that helps?! When I first made up batches, I used some silicone muffin tins and made small amounts to try out (I rubbed them on like soap, and since this was winter, they were hard enough even before I started adding the beeswax).

All the best with the exploration,
Deborah

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 03-07-2013 at 05:24 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
fun moma to two
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use it as lotion. I've been trying to take a Tbs a day of it but then I forget it so good raw for your body.
fun moma to two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
EmilyMae,

All the best with the exploration,
Deborah
Thanks! A lot to think about and I am sure it will take some tweaking! Did you have to get a lot of the ingredients online?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #28
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

As a general rule, I do most of my shopping online swansons.com, vitacost, amazon. I couldn't really tell you where to go in the brick and mortar stores .

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429
As a general rule, I do most of my shopping online swansons.com, vitacost, amazon. I couldn't really tell you where to go in the brick and mortar stores .
The only place I could think of is Sprouts (which is only in the southwest so that doesn't do me any good since I live in ILL now!)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #30
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use it on my dog's dry skin- it's amazing how quickly the dandruff and red patches cleared up! I also started feeding him about 1/4 teaspoon a day.