Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Boys and nail polish

I only have boys so there isn't a lot of girly stuff in the house but they do notice when my nails are painted and they think it's cool. Same thing when they see me putting make up on. I just tell them it's for girls and they are boys like daddy, boys don't wear make up and nail polish (at least not in our house). I hope that doesn't come across as judgmental. I have friends and adult male relatives that do. It's just important for me that my sons identify with being boys and what that means in OUR family.

DH was raised kind of gender neutral (at least that's the best way I can think to describe it). He wishes that his parents had been more clear on certain things and he was made fun of during his elementary/jr high years. In high school he's told me about a specific incident that was a turning point for him...kind of sad actually. Our kids don't have to be all star football players or manly grizzly bear men but we do prefer the more traditional gender roles.

Advertisement

Last edited by 7mom7; 03-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
7mom7
Registered Users

DP

Last edited by 7mom7; 03-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one with these worries. Sad. my ds lives my little pony too. But apparently its an acceptable thing for boys and even kind of cool? my dhs 14yo cousin was telling me about "bronies" and was wearing a guyish mlp hoodie.
Among high school males, it's an "emo" thing. Hot Topic sells the tees and hoodies. For younger kids like ours, it's still stigmatized. But we still let DS get MLP toys and he didn't care that he had to go through the store to the girls section to find what he wanted.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

It may be regional but little boys with painted fingers and toenails is pretty common around here, at least in the preschool set. DS gets his painted whenever I paint mine. We actually had to go out and let him pick out some of his own because I only had black, brown and maroon and he didn't like any of them. He's asked in the past if its something girls do but we just tell him anyone can paint their nails and daddy used to paint his nails all the time. Which is true.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My ds currently has purple toe nails. He loves to get them painted. Everytime I paint mine, I do his as well. He will grow out of it, and if he doesn't, then I will have an awesome buddy to go to the nail salon with.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would paint his nails, but either remove it for school, or make sure he wears shoes and socks.

I have no problem with all kids being who they want to be. But, I have no problem with parents who go along with gender stereotypes either.

I think all little boys want to have their nails painted sometimes, and they should. It's cool, it's fun, and it's colorful. But, if they will go to school and be made to feel bad (even an innocent comment from a friend) I would remove it before school.

Kids say "that's a girl color" and it's no different than a kid saying "Wow you are tall". It's just an observation, not teasing.

BTW, though, I have daycare boys who come in wearing nail polish all the time, and not one child has ever said anything other than "ooh...pretty". I do have one boy though who thinks red and black are for boys, and pink and purple are for girls. But, he also thinks girls are boring, and has no use for girly things. He's all about trains and cars. He's not rude, just has his own things.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 03-04-2013 at 01:03 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I am in the minority. I would simply say nail painting is for girls. Just like I do for arm pit and legs shaving. My boys would be fine with that answer. Once they were old enough to deal with others making fun of them (teen) then whatever. I know many teen boys who paint their nails.
I would too.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I don't view colors or painted nails as a boy or girl thing. If my boys want pink nails they can have it. Even in public, it's 2013.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
I feel silly that this is even bugging me, so I'm curious how others handle it. I am usually a frumpy mama and have recently been trying to feel pretty again. So I painted my nails magenta. Ds1 was super interested and asked me to paint his nails. I only had the pink, so I agreed to do his toe nails. I told him lots of people think pink is a girl color, but it was up to him. He still wanted them pink, so I did it. There are 2 little boys at preschool who are hypersensitive to "girl things" and "boy things" including colors and play. my ds has no clue and could care less. We havent ever forced gender and have no problem if he picks something pink or plays "girly." but now hes in the real world, so I'm struggling between not perpetuating gender stereotypes, allowing him free choice, and protecting him from bullies.

How do you handle these things? Is it fair to let I'm choose after I give the social warning? Let him so whatever and deal with social consequences as they come? I love that he is so unaware and wish it would stay that way.

As for his toes, the pink wore off and I let him pick a new color at the store yesterday. He wanted pink/purple sparkles, but I was able to steer him to the black with silver sparkles that I was buying for myself anyways.
My ds rocks a pink scarf to school on a regular basis. He knows his classmates think its a girl color but doesn't care.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't see the big deal at all. DS2 asks often to have his nails painted - and wants his fingernails done, not his toenails. He's a fairly confident-in-himself kid.
DS3 asks every time I'm doing my own nails, but he's only 2.5 so he doesn't go to preschool or anything.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote