Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
My ds just saw me painting dds fingernails and toenails on Sunday. He asked if he could get his painted also, dh was right here and told ds that nail polish was for girls. He didn't seem effected. I told ds if he really wanted some I'd do his toes and he said no lol. Maybe this is something your dh can talk with him about. There is no doubt he will get made fun of. Kids are mean.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Boys and nail polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
Yes, but the reality is that most kids are teased at least a bit through childhood...even the ones who only subscribe to gender roles. Kids tease each other....it may not be nice but it is reality.
I agree with everything you said. It's a personal decision for us to raise our kids with our values (one being gender roles)- its not because we're worried they would be made fun of. We homeschool so it's kind of a non-issue. OP asked how we handle these things and even though I don't have the most popular answer I think it's good to hear each side when making a decision.

I agree with OP that if she's going to allow him to have painted nails then it's fair to explain the social norm and allow him to make his own decision.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #33
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you can simultaneously encourage confidence and direct him away from the nail polish. You can explain that while you agree that nail polish is pretty fun, some boys will be really mean about nail polish if he wears it and that you would feel responsible for their ridicule if you let him go with his nails painted. You can say that when he is older he will have enough experience to inform some style decisions that for now you need to make for him. I'm probably not saying that simply enough, but you get the idea. There are complex decisions that adults make for kids all the time from their vantage of having had more experience, and while this one may feel like it is stifling his creativity, I honestly think the shaming on the playground would be much more stifling (and much more apt to produce his own adopted disdain of girls and all things girlie) than your gentle reasoning would be.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
I agree with everything you said. It's a personal decision for us to raise our kids with our values (one being gender roles)- its not because we're worried they would be made fun of. We homeschool so it's kind of a non-issue. OP asked how we handle these things and even though I don't have the most popular answer I think it's good to hear each side when making a decision.

I agree with OP that if she's going to allow him to have painted nails then it's fair to explain the social norm and allow him to make his own decision.
I appreciate you sharing your point of view! I was definitely looking for all types of responses to consider.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote