Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Kindle Fire or HD?

Do I need to spend the extra $40 for the HD? I'm wanting to upgrade (I think) my Nook Color (which is rooted with an Sd card to be more tablet like but is fussy of late) and since most of my books are from amazon I want to try the Kindle. I'm pretty much using it as an ereader, with some play on the 'net (Facebook, eBay etc). not into gaming at all and not really a movie person either. Also, I can get a refurb first gen kindle fire for $99. I can't seem to find much difference in the first and second gens. Tell me what I should do!! First gen fire, current second gen fire, or hd? Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Kindle Fire or HD?

Both of my kids have a regular Kindle Fire- I have used them and think they are great. I have never used an HD version, so I have nothing to compare it to but we've read books, streamed Netflix and surfed the net with no issues.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
nmrgrl55
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

where can you get a refurb for $99? I am thinking of getting one for my boys and would LOVE to find a refurb!
nmrgrl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a first Gen fire and 2nd gen Fire. My kids prefer the 1st gen. I do as well (no ads). We briefly considered getting an HD, but many of the apps they use (drawing etc) haven't been converted for HD use yet. Because of that we decided we would stick with non-HD. Now if you have never used a 1st gen Fire, you won't really have any issues with the second gen, but some of the swipe to open things are different and we are used to the older style.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have both gens of regular Fires. I've played around with other peoples HD and it isn't worth the extra money, IMO. I'd consider paying more for the bigger screen if we watched more movies on it.
AFA the difference between the gens, I like both. But, the 2nd gen has the option for Free Time Unlimited which my kids absolutely love. It's not available on the 1st gens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Celeste View Post
We have a first Gen fire and 2nd gen Fire. My kids prefer the 1st gen. I do as well (no ads). We briefly considered getting an HD, but many of the apps they use (drawing etc) haven't been converted for HD use yet. Because of that we decided we would stick with non-HD. Now if you have never used a 1st gen Fire, you won't really have any issues with the second gen, but some of the swipe to open things are different and we are used to the older style.
Both gens come with the option for ads or no ads.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son has the HD 7" Kindle Fire. Other than sound, display and processor there really isnt much of a difference to the regular Kindle Fire. The WI FI does run smoother in my son's than in my brother in law's(has the regular Kindle Fire)...
nachoslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
chubbycheeks
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies everyone! You can get refurb first generations online at Best Buy under clearance. I don't have prime, and it's mainly for me, so Im thinking I'll go the cheapie route. Thanks everyone!