Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Registered Users
Weaning my 6 month old

Im ready to start weaning my 6 month old and switching to formula. How do i do that? Im pretty sure I shouldnt just go straight to formula...and especially since he's still having a hard time taking a bottle. Please help!

sugardumplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Weaning my 6 month old

I had to wean my first son at about 6 months. I did it gradually.

I went to only bottles of pumped milk and formula no more nursing. It didnt' bother him at all. There wasn't much milk there anyway. Each stage depended on how much BM I had. I think it was about a month total.

I started by doing 3/4 BM and 1/4 Formula
Then went to 1/2 and 1/2
Then to 1/4 BM and 3/4 Formula
then to all formula
wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Weaning my 6 month old

I weaned DD completely to formula by 4.5 months. Our feeding routine was nurse-bottle-express and whatever I pumped/expressed went into her next bottle. I could never get much BM out with a pump, only by hand expressing. I had low-supply from the beginning and had to use bottles with DD since she was a week old.

I started by dropping the nursing before the bottle during her daytime feeds and reserved the breast for mornings/evenings and the occasional comfort nurse. DD didn't seem to miss the nursing before her bottle at all. Then I gradually stopped hand-expressing, which did result in a week of discomfort and I did hand-express just to get some relief. After my body adjusted, I dropped the evening nurse, then the morning one.

Have you tried the Breastflow bottles? If he's having a hard time with bottles, he may have some luck with that one since your LO would get the milk out the same way he does with your breast.
delladea is offline   Reply With Quote