Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

travel after c-sec question

Long story, but my ds and I am living with my parents because my dh was deployed and I am high risk. Dh did come home but I am too close to delivery and am on bed rest so I can't go home. Its costing us a bit of money each week longer I am here at my parents and would like to get home asap. DH also doesn't have a lot of time off work.

My c-sec is scheduled for 37.5 weeks. I was originally going to fly with the baby at 2.5 weeks pp while dh and Ds drive our car home at 1.5 weeks pp. My ob was OK with this, but now I am concerned about the baby flying that early. So then the plan would be car riding (12 hours of driving) back with dh at 2 weeks.

Anyone have any experience with traveling that soon after? Would it be very painful? That's looking like our best option right now. I know everyone's pain tolerance is different, but I am just trying to gage how realistic this plan is. Tia!

Mom to Joey (Feb 2010) and another on the way (Apr 2013)!

Advertisement

RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Re: travel after c-sec question

At 2 weeks, I still had pain after lots of walking. I would be worried about navigating an airport with a baby and hauling stuff would be too much. I would probably drive.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

I was in NY when I had my DD and had to travel back to MI a few days after my c-section. My c-section had opened up before I left. The night before travel they had to re-staple it. I did not drive but did ride. NO WAY would I fly. I slept most of the way and we just stopped whenever I needed to. It really didn't hurt my c-section but I was really swollen so it made my legs swell much more. Keep your feet up when/if you can! HTH
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a csection and have a very high pain tolerance and was not high risk etc. I tried to do too much after my section and ended up back in the hospital because of bleeding.

Couple of questions? Can you make the decision after you have had the section? That way, if there are complications your aren't stuck with a flight you can't take.

How long is the flight? Am I understanding that you will be flying by yourself? I think it would be very difficult to fly by yourself after a section at 2.5 weeks. If you had help with carrying everything, that is a different story. Also, if your husband is going separately have him take everything and you just take the baby. It is mainly the carrying and lifting things that I would be concerned about. Also, you can request one of those golf cart things to take you through the airport so you don't have to walk much.

The baby will be totally fine on the flight. Will most likely sleep the entire way. Just make sure you have a copy of the birth certificate to prove the baby is over 2 weeks.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would drive with hubby so u have help if u need it...can stop when u need to...and could easily postpone the trip if u had complications. The earliest I have traveled after a c/s is 2 months with baby in tow...2 weeks would be hard...the seat belt...other people...possible crying baby...u alone with baby while still drugged...just my 2cents .
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm... traveling at 2 wks postop does not sound like fun and will have it's own set of cons, anyway you slice it (no pun intended). If you are the passenger of the car and can lay your seat back and prop up your feet, that would be better. You are probably going to have pain. I would put a pillow around my incision so the seatbelt wouldn't hurt it (it's not the correct way to wear one though).

Flying sounds dreadful that soon after a c-section. Think of how upright the seats are, crammed together, etc. Eek.

So there is no way to go to 3 weeks post op? I noticed a big change from 2 to 3 weeks in terms of pain and what I can do.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had no pain during normal activities 5-7 days post caesarean, but sitting or having to remain in one position for any extended period of time would have killed me. I would absolutely have refused to drive for more than 30-60 minutes at a time for the first 4-6 weeks. If I were in your shoes I would fly or stay put for an additional 2-6 weeks. Since you're on bed rest you won't recover from a caesarean like someone who maintained light daily exercise up to delivery.

I would guess that your DH would want to take you to the airport & stay with you until you board, but will someone else be able to be there when you are ready to depart? How does your DH feel about it? Mine would not have wanted to spend 12 hrs without his little girls so soon after birth even if flying would have been easiest for me.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had no pain during normal activities 5-7 days post caesarean, but sitting or having to remain in one position for any extended period of time would have killed me. I would absolutely have refused to drive for more than 30-60 minutes at a time for the first 4-6 weeks. If I were in your shoes I would fly or stay put for an additional 2-6 weeks. Since you're on bed rest you won't recover from a caesarean like someone who maintained light daily exercise up to delivery.

I would guess that your DH would want to take you to the airport & stay with you until you board, but will someone else be able to be there when you are ready to depart? How does your DH feel about it? Mine would not have wanted to spend 12 hrs without his little girls so soon after birth even if flying would have been easiest for me.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Fantastick
Registered Users
seller

I would have flown if it was just me but with a baby prob not. Drive or even better take a train.
Fantastick is offline   Reply With Quote