Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
stacieandtheboys's Avatar
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 2,178
My Mood:
Approaching daycare about using cloth

Ds3 started daycare 2 1/2 weeks ago. I hadn't asked them about cloth because I thought it wasn't a big deal but now we never use cloth. I can't use it during the week because then I end up with only 2 diapers a day and they sit for days until I get enough to watch which is causing them to stink. So I want to ask daycare to use cloth. It won't be the end of the world it'd they don't but I'd like to use them more than on the weekends. Any tips? Ds is doing fine in disposables. I want to make it hard for them to say no but don't want to be a b about it either. Thanks

Advertisement

__________________
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
HotPotato1010's Avatar
HotPotato1010
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 117
My Mood:
Re: Approaching daycare about using cloth

Ha! We were in your situation a couple weeks ago! Our daycare got on board with cloth and we're so happy!

This is kind of what I said:
Money is kind of tight right now, and the thought of buying more disposable diapers not tough. We have tons of cloth diapers at home. Would you be willing to try them out for a day or two?

The last time our daycare provider had seen cloth diapers, they were fastened with safety pins. She had NO idea they now have easy snaps and velcro. I brought one in to show her and she was amazed. Bring in a wet bag to show her, too. Have all that stuff ready to show her and ease her mind.

Print out your state's daycare procedures on cloth diapers (if they have one, Maryland's procedures were pretty skimpy).

Reassure her that they will NOT stink. Reassure her that she will NOT have to touch the stool. She will just leave it in the diaper, fold up the diaper, and put it in the wetbag. It's really no more work than she does now.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
HotPotato1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Teddyandnick's Avatar
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,653
DS2 is going to go to preschool next year for half a day once a week. They don't require the 2 year olds to be pled. They are fine with using pocket diapers and just throwing them in a wet bag. I explained that he has very sensitive skin and breaks out in a rash with sposies. I think they have to allow them if you have a doctors note. At least that is what one home daycare told me like 4 years ago.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
stacieandtheboys's Avatar
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 2,178
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyandnick
DS2 is going to go to preschool next year for half a day once a week. They don't require the 2 year olds to be pled. They are fine with using pocket diapers and just throwing them in a wet bag. I explained that he has very sensitive skin and breaks out in a rash with sposies. I think they have to allow them if you have a doctors note. At least that is what one home daycare told me like 4 years ago.
Yeah we have been using sposies with no problem though. I use bg elementals so I have a whole lot of money tied up in cloth that I'm not using. There are other centers in town that use them no problem.
__________________
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Teddyandnick's Avatar
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys

Yeah we have been using sposies with no problem though. I use bg elementals so I have a whole lot of money tied up in cloth that I'm not using. There are other centers in town that use them no problem.
I don't think they would have a problem with that. It's not like a fitted or prefold that they have to snappi where they would possibly touch pee. Have you looked over the paperwork/contract you signed? Sometime it will have the info right in there. DS1 went to a daycare for a couple days a week and she had in there she would not cd unless there was a note from a dr.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Shimpie's Avatar
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,256
My Mood:
Re: Approaching daycare about using cloth

I recommend sending velcro pockets to daycare, but if you've only got BG elementals, get some kam snap studs. I followed a wonderful suggestion on DS about filling in the unused snaps with snap studs so that it was nearly impossible to put a diaper on the wrong setting. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074834&highlight=kam+snap+stud

Are you doing cloth wipes? My daycare liked pre-moistened cloth wipes prefolded in a tub so that they pop up just like sposie wipes. Invest in several good quality wetbags. You want absoulutely no stink coming out of a wetbag. Soak your poopy diapers as soon as you get home. DD would poop in a diaper at 9am and the dirty diaper would sit in a wetbag all day long. I would soak the diaper in the toilet to get the poop off, wet them down with vinegar, and toss in the diaper pail until I got around the washing them. It prevented a lot of ammonia and stinkies. You could give liners a try. They were hit and miss with me. When they worked it was good, but they only worked half of the time. Many times, they just bunched up and didn't catch anything.

Good luck! My daycare provider loved my cloth diapers. Out of 24 toddlers, DD was the only one in cloth.
__________________
Weena,
wife to James and WOHM to Autumn (2.5)
Labels? I don't use labels. I can't even get my label maker to work.

Last edited by Shimpie; 03-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
stacieandtheboys's Avatar
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 2,178
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpie
I recommend sending velcro pockets to daycare, but if you've only got BG elementals, get some kam snap studs. I followed a wonderful suggestion on DS about filling in the unused snaps with snap studs so that it was nearly impossible to put a diaper on the wrong setting. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074834&highlight=kam+snap+stud

Are you doing cloth wipes? My daycare liked pre-moistened cloth wipes prefolded in a tub so that they pop up just like sposie wipes. Invest in several good quality wetbags. You want absoulutely no stink coming out of a wetbag. Soak your poopy diapers as soon as you get home. DD would poop in a diaper at 9am and the dirty diaper would sit in a wetbag all day long. I would soak the diaper in the toilet to get the poop off, wet them down with vinegar, and toss in the diaper pail until I got around the washing them. It prevented a lot of ammonia and stinkies. You could give liners a try. They were hit and miss with me. When they worked it was good, but they only worked half of the time. Many times, they just bunched up and didn't catch anything.

Good luck! My daycare provider loved my cloth diapers. Out of 24 toddlers, DD was the only one in cloth.
Wow those are super neat. I'd be afraid of the choking Hazard they pose though. I was just going to let them use regular wipes and wrap them in the diaper. Then I will toss them later. Dh doesn't rinse diapers so I deal with that already. I have a planet wise hanging bag I would use for dirties. Hmm so much to think about. I need to get my plan set before I go to them with this.


I have our agreement out in the car. Going to look over it now.


Thank you all for the help!!
__________________
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Shimpie's Avatar
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,256
My Mood:
Re: Approaching daycare about using cloth

The snaps stud take quite a bit of work to pry off. I actually needed to wrap floss around some of the snaps to get enough leverage to pop off. I tested every snap stud to make sure they wouldn't come off easily and out of all my dipes, there was only one loose snap. I just chose not to put a stud in that socket. I wouldn't leave any unused snap studs lying around though.
__________________
Weena,
wife to James and WOHM to Autumn (2.5)
Labels? I don't use labels. I can't even get my label maker to work.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
stacieandtheboys's Avatar
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 2,178
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpie
The snaps stud take quite a bit of work to pry off. I actually needed to wrap floss around some of the snaps to get enough leverage to pop off. I tested every snap stud to make sure they wouldn't come off easily and out of all my dipes, there was only one loose snap. I just chose not to put a stud in that socket. I wouldn't leave any unused snap studs lying around though.
Ok cool ill have to take a closer look. I read the handbook and it says nothing about cloth so I am going to take one up and ask today
__________________
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: small town USA
Posts: 5,419
My Mood:
Re: Approaching daycare about using cloth

Take the diapers to daycare and show them how to use them. You probably won't need to buy studs for the diapers. We have been using cloth at daycare for 3 years. My DCP is just fine with any diaper I send as long as it is one piece--- prestuffed pocket, AIO, AI2.Cover w/pad folded flat. I have never had any issues with snap diapers.
__________________
wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.