Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Approaching daycare about using cloth

You'll also need to point out (at some point, not necessarily in the first discussion) about how not to use the typical ointments with the cloth diapers, and what alternatives you want them to use (switch to disposables as needed, use ___ cloth-safe ointment that you will provide, etc).

I second that you will need a good wetbag, and a good way to carry all the clean and dirty back and forth every day, an oversized wet/dry bag works well. And then the extra clothes, extra winter gear, whatever else you want to send besides clean diapers can all live and be carried together in the dry bag section.

Some daycares will do cloth but insist on putting every single used diaper in its own individual plastic bag before putting them into the wetbag... not so useful for trying to be green.

Advertisement

twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys

Wow those are super neat. I'd be afraid of the choking Hazard they pose though. I was just going to let them use regular wipes and wrap them in the diaper. Then I will toss them later. Dh doesn't rinse diapers so I deal with that already. I have a planet wise hanging bag I would use for dirties. Hmm so much to think about. I need to get my plan set before I go to them with this.

I have our agreement out in the car. Going to look over it now.

Thank you all for the help!!
This is what we do. Our sitter prefers sposie wipes and I've never dared to ask her to dump the poop so she just rolls the diaper with the wipes and poop inside and throws it into the wet bag. I go through it every night. No biggie. Takes 5 min tops.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We use bge's and pre stuffed pockets, all snaps. Daycare never had a problem with either BUT could never remember to use the laundry tabs on aplix bges. So it kind of depends.
Definitely take in a bge for them to see, it will let them know exactly what you're talking about. I like the idea of approaching it as "could we try this please?" Maybe work out a trial period - say two weeks - then adjust from there.
Once DD started solids we sent in fleece liners - poop liners get tossed, pee liners go right in the wetbag and get washed and reused.
Have plenty of wetbags! And fwiw, sposie wipes can be washed and dried with the diaper laundry - no problems - not REUSED lol, but it's much easier to pick clean balled-up wipes from clean diapers than to pick poo wipes out of a poo dipe.
And show them how they go on! DD came home several times as an infant with her bg xs ON BACKWARDS after some investigating, turns out a little boy one room ahead of her was in gDiapers... So they thought ALL CD's went on backwards :-)
Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Haha we had a sitter put one on backwards too! I wanted to know how she got him still enough to get it on backwards!

So I asked today and she said that she had never had anyone use cloth and knew I could but needed to look up the regulations for storage ect. I know there are really no such thing the regs are very vague in Texas. I told her I would do whatever I needed to do and would supply everything so we will see how hard she makes it for me. I told her I would bring some stuff to show her next week too. I really hope it doesn't turn Into a hassle. I really wanna use my dipes.
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good luck. Over the phone or daycare said no to cloth, so when I went in to do paperwork I took a BG pocket with me and showed them what I meant and asked for a trial period with them and they have been using them since we started. I did have to go out and buy a stash of them since that isn't what we used, but it has been great. They actually dump the poop for us too.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When we started DD in daycare, we took one of her cloth diapers with us (Tots Bots). I showed the daycare provider what we had and asked that instead of putting it in the trash, they put it in the wetbag. They've had no issues with it and were actually surprised how easy it is.

Most people's initial response will be "no" but if you take it to them and show them how easy CDing is, they usually change their tune.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
carrollrj25
Registered Users

How's this endeavor coming? The first day care we were going to use initially said yes then no saying they couldn't put the diapers outside and wouldn't be able to have them where kids couldn't get to the poop. I was like, what do you think is in your garbage. This was even when ds would get rashes from sposie wipes. The second daycare has been great and has been willing to work with whatever we wanted to use.
carrollrj25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's spring break so we haven't been this week. I have my new wet bags and my dipes ready to go though.
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

When my older son first started daycare, I had seen too many stories on here about daycares that wouldn't use cloth. Since we are in an extremely non-crunchy area, I just assumed they would say no and never bothered asking. After about a month, DH's hours started getting cut at work and money was tighter that ever, so I figured I would ask and the worst they could say was no. We were using Fuzzi Bunz at the time, so I brought one in and asked the teacher and she said it wouldn't be a problem at all. We later switched to Bottom Bumpers, but they have never had issues with the snaps.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have one large bag that goes every day to daycare. On Monday night I pack it full, 12 Diapers and 4 wet bags. that usually gets us through the week. I usually check on Thursday just to make sure there are enough for Friday. I don't have to worry about it during the week.

When DS2 was in diapers but we didn't need to send bottles back and forth the bag stayed at daycare.