Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #11
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl
I have no idea what to get DD this year. Normally I spend a decent amount of money but I don't have it this year. For example, last year she got a leapster and a bunch of other stuff. I easily spend $100 plus on Easter. Yeah, not happening this year. I also don't want a bunch of crap since I'm trying to not replace all the toys I got rid of a few months ago.

My only real idea is some scarves. DD has some playsilks from a WAHM but I sold them bc I needed the money. Scarves can be found at the thrift store for practically nothing and she loves playing with her friends scarves.

Any other cheap/useful ideas?!?!
I'm keeping it kind of basic. They are getting some little wood toys I bought in a co-op, and hopefully a small bag of organic candy (if the candy arrives in time)

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's talk Easter baskets!!

Could you do your own easter egg hunt this year instead of a basket? Buy 25-35 plastic eggs and fill with stickers, jelly beans, etc etc, and then maybe get a stuffed animal from goodwill, wash it, and put a picture of it in one of the eggs...or maybe a map to it? This could all be done for under 10 bucks, even less maybe. I know my kids love re-hiding the eggs over and over.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
mpbaby
Registered Users
seller

Could you skip it altogether? I'm Catholic. Growing up, my parents didn't have that much spare money. We never got Easter baskets. I never missed them.

Now, we have kids and we never do Easter baskets. It isn't a matter of money but really a matter of too much stuff for the kids. I don't want them expecting baskets at Easter. I'm even fed up with Christmas though. It all gets so overwhelming. My son just had a birthday and he got so many toys (not from us) that we have practically the entire Lego store in our house now and he still has a pile of gifts in the cupboard that hasn't even been opened yet. He's five. Does a five year old need every Ninjago Lego ever made??? He blows through them...

Sorry for the rant. I can't get over it. We are grateful for everything we have but it's hard to teach the value of saving when the kids grow up having everything they ever wish for, however small.

Anyway, long story short. I say no on Easter baskets. Especially if you are strapped for extra cash. Just my two cents.
mpbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

My infant is not getting a basket he will start next year.

For my 2 year old he gets a basket with a really big suprise egg, it will have a chcoolate bunny, and some baked treats. I also have a easter sticker book and will watch for a few like items. I had planned to give him one toy in addition for easter. I got a big fire truck on sale for 10 euro but he found it in the trunk ofthe car haha so he got it early< need to get more creative with hiding.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbaby View Post
Could you skip it altogether? I'm Catholic. Growing up, my parents didn't have that much spare money. We never got Easter baskets. I never missed them.

Now, we have kids and we never do Easter baskets. It isn't a matter of money but really a matter of too much stuff for the kids. I don't want them expecting baskets at Easter. I'm even fed up with Christmas though. It all gets so overwhelming. My son just had a birthday and he got so many toys (not from us) that we have practically the entire Lego store in our house now and he still has a pile of gifts in the cupboard that hasn't even been opened yet. He's five. Does a five year old need every Ninjago Lego ever made??? He blows through them...

Sorry for the rant. I can't get over it. We are grateful for everything we have but it's hard to teach the value of saving when the kids grow up having everything they ever wish for, however small.

Anyway, long story short. I say no on Easter baskets. Especially if you are strapped for extra cash. Just my two cents.
This.

We actually do do baskets, but just started last year for the first time. We were low on toothpaste, bandaids, soap bars, and everyone needed bigger swimsuits for the upcoming season, so I put those in the baskets. It made it so much more exciting

This year, they are getting their new crocs for the summer, plus 1 Cadbury cream egg and a bar of fun soap. I got the crocs on black friday's online sale (thanks to the mama who posted the deal!), but they would have been getting those anyway for summer.

Last edited by Melinda29; 03-09-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Lots of great ideas ladies!

And no we aren't skipping it. DD is 4 and knows that you get Easter baskets and hunt eggs on Easter. We do a big shindig with the family so it would be really unfair and pretty much torture that she doesn't get an Easter basket and all her cousins did. Not doing that. But I do want this years basket to be stuff we/she needs and not a bunch of crap/toys/candy.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
This.

We actually do do baskets, but just started last year for the first time. We were low on toothpaste, bandaids, soap bars, and everyone needed bigger swimsuits for the upcoming season, so I put those in the baskets. It made it so much more exciting

This year, they are getting their new crocs for the summer, plus 1 Cadbury cream egg and a bar of fun soap. I got the crocs on black friday's online sale (thanks to the mama who posted the deal!), but they would have been getting those anyway for summer.
This is a great idea.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

We will do 10 clues that the boys have to follow. This year they will be one word clues so DS # 1 can sound them out. He'll run from the refrigerator to the shower to the garage to the washer, etc. At the end he's getting a new helmet (next size bigger) and his favorite lunch snacks (fruit snacks and mandarin oranges) and hopefully a new swim bucket hat for in the pool / on the boat. Not sure about DS # 2... I think some new washable markers and his favorite snacks, but trying to think of one more thing (maybe play-doh). We only do things that we'd buy anyway and absolutely NO chocolate.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

This year we're doing homemade playdoh in jars, homemade bath paints in jars, sidewalk chalk, shovels for gardening/sandbox, and candy/treats. Maybe a couple other things like more reusable straws and a book, but I'm not sure about that yet.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
specialdelivery
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like to give the kids practical stuff too. They typically get a bathing suit-usually from a consignment sale, water shoes and sunglasses, few snack items I don't usually buy them and tons of candy from my parents. We might get them some sand toys this year too since last year's have disappeared.
Mama to Ria 5/08, Wyatt 10/14/11 and expecting #3 in April.
specialdelivery is offline   Reply With Quote