Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

Twentyone Worksheets

My kids come home with a homework packet every Monday that has to be turned in Friday. This week there are 21 worksheets! That is not including the reading that accompanies it in order to answer the questions.
It really seems like a lot to me. I realize this is only the beginning.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Twentyone Worksheets

Almost forgot. The above mentioned homework does not include practicing 10 spelling words or 10 high frequency words.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
paaterzone
Registered Users
seller

That seems like way too much. I've been a teacher for more than ten years and I have NEVER sent even close to that much work home...have you talked to the teacher to ask what her/his objective is for this much homework? Anything done at home should be to review or practice skills already learned in class--that much work seems like your teacher is trying to pawn off some of his/her lessons to the parents. I know our district has an elementary policy of no more than 15 minutes plus reading time per evening.
paaterzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaterzone View Post
That seems like way too much. I've been a teacher for more than ten years and I have NEVER sent even close to that much work home...have you talked to the teacher to ask what her/his objective is for this much homework? Anything done at home should be to review or practice skills already learned in class--that much work seems like your teacher is trying to pawn off some of his/her lessons to the parents. I know our district has an elementary policy of no more than 15 minutes plus reading time per evening.
I have 2 1st graders with 2 different teachers and they do some sort of group thing. That means all the teachers give all the kids the same homework packet depending on skill level. Red group, blue group, green group etc. Both my kids are green group. They get the exact same packet and we work on it together and I have them do some independently.
I haven't spoke to either teacher yet. It seems like it has slowly increased every week. We used to be able to complete the entire packet on Monday night in about 30 minutes leaving the rest of the week for reading each night and practicing the spelling and high frequency words sent home. It's Thursday night and we finished everything up 10 minutes before bed after doing 45 minutes each night.
It's really getting to be too much. And I'm talking about ME an adult that is having a had time with it all.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
R055ANA
Registered Users

Yes, it does seem like too much to me but really different schools have different demands. Sometimes it isn't the teachers who want to give out that much hw. The principal may require that because he/she is getting pressure from the higher ups. Other times it is the parents saying we want more hw. Think about the poor teacher having to mark 21 worksheets from each student. How many markers does she go through? I can't believe the school runs off that many copies, WOW!! That seems like a part-time job unless the class is really tiny.

Hopefully this tapers down soon but maybe a little chat w/ the teacher will be helpful.

Best wishes and keep us posted if you aren't swamped in worksheets : )
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

What are they doing in the 7 hours they are at school?
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That's just crazy!! Our school district's recommendation is 10 minutes per night per grade, plus reading. So 1st graders would be expected to do approximately 20 minutes total per night, 4 nights a week. We do not give homework on weekends or over holidays. I would definitely have a polite discussion with the teachers about expectations.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
That's just crazy!! Our school district's recommendation is 10 minutes per night per grade, plus reading. So 1st graders would be expected to do approximately 20 minutes total per night, 4 nights a week. We do not give homework on weekends or over holidays. I would definitely have a polite discussion with the teachers about expectations.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
What are they doing in the 7 hours they are at school?
This!

That is beyond ridiculous ! That is approximately 5 worksheets PLUS spelling and reading each night. Homework is pointless IMO. The poor kids are already wore out form school and then they are expected to come home and do 2hrs worth of homework? How would the school employees feel if they were to spend their nights doing more work? Homework is rushed and stressed and nothing comes from it. If you pick them up from school at 3:30 you more than likely won't get home until at least 4. Then you have to do 2 hours worth of homework so its now 6pm and dinner time. Then its baths and bedtime. I mean really when are they supposed to be kids and PLAY?

Last edited by AbbieJack; 03-09-2013 at 10:14 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Id do 15 min a Night and send thw rest back.

Maybe let the teacher know how Long its taking and that its to much for you guys.

Another option is Ask If the boys can have the work