View Poll Results: Would you use donor milk from a mother who smokes cigarettes?
Yes! Breast milk is that important 14 11.20%
No! Cigarettes are that dangerous 91 72.80%
I would never use donor milk 16 12.80%
Other 4 3.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Considering your stand on human donor milk are you vegan? Because I don't understand how human milk is worse than cows milk, or eggs, cheese, butter, etc.
I feel the same way, honestly. And I don't normally compare myself to a cow or chicken so I can't connect your logic here.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko

Considering your stand on human donor milk are you vegan? Because I don't understand how human milk is worse than cows milk, or eggs, cheese, butter, etc.
No, not even remotely.

There are regulations that oversee what the cow eats and drinks. Not humans.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
I feel the same way, honestly. And I don't normally compare myself to a cow or chicken so I can't connect your logic here.
I am not wanting to offend but chickens run around pecking the ground where they poop. Humans don't do that.

When I visited a dairy farm the cows were kept so confined they would at times lay in their own urine and poop. I watched as they were milked. The milk man sprayed off the udders but didn't really get them clean. Then they attatched the milking machine. In my opinion humans are generally
(not always) cleaner than this.

So no I don't compare myself generally to an animal. I consider myself cleaner than an animal. I voted no to a smoking mamas milk and prefer formula if that was my choice but generally do consider most people to be above animals on the level of cleanliness. Therefore if human milk would gross me out animal milk or other body fluids or products just seems like it would be much more gross.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #24
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

I would ff without guilt too. Smoker or no smoker. I just don't feel comfortable donor feeding my baby. And I had to ff my son because I couldn't produce milk after he was born. SOME WOMEN JUST CAN'T! It was better with my daughter, but barely. I hope it's even better with this baby. But after being told by our pediatrician that my baby boy was starving and not crying because he was just sounded to being hungry, I would always go for formula if I couldn't breast feed my little one myself.
Jleigh8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #25
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
No, not even remotely.

There are regulations that oversee what the cow eats and drinks. Not humans.

Generally speaking a certain amount of contamination in animal products is allowed

The links are kinda gross so don't follow if you have a sesitive stomach.

http://rense.com/general26/milk.htm

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/0..._your_food.htm

Don't get me wrong I am not vegetarian. I love cheese and butter. Not a big fan of milk, but that is the flavor not anything else. I just don't think much about it and don't worry about what may or may not harm me as it seems everything could potentially harm me.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #26
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't be comfortable with it, and I am very comfortable with using donor milk. I have donated to over a dozen babies and fed my son donor milk when I needed to supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen
First I would question why I could carry a baby then not provide milk (I know off point, just..honest answer).

Hypothetically speaking breastmilk from a smoker would still be better. I personally would not ever feel comfortable giving my babies formula.
Then I hope for your sake that you are never in the position where that is literally the only option. Because for some babies it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen

Right. This is why I would question it. It is INCREDIBLY rare for a woman to not make enough milk. I would want to know why. I have very close ties to an amazing mama whose daughter was born a month after my first. She had hypoplasia and couldn't provide enough milk. I understand the horrors of the weight loss and and ftt. I pumped and provided 100% of that sweet baby's supplementary milk for two and a half years. I would gladly do anything in my powers to help another truly struggling mother provide breastmilk.

I say all of this as a mother who would not give up breastfeeding for anything. I did the bleeding/skin loss, awful pain, being admitted for serious mastitis, and pumping every two hours for four years, only to continue by choice. As someone who dealt with a very serious and life threatening feeding and swallowing disorder, severe ppd, while never successfully nursing my first baby. Yup. Breastmilk is very, extremely important to me.
Not for anything? What if your baby couldn't tolerate breastmilk? What if no matter how many ounces a day they got of it they still vomited most of it up and wouldn't grow?

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Smokers have way too many additional chemicals in their body. I'm not comfortable using their milk.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #28
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Other people in general gross me out. So me thinking someone elses milk is gross more of a personal issue rather than anything real or logical
Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #29
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nope I wouldn't do it. If I don't want my babies inhaling cigarette smoke, I certainly don't want them ingesting it.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #30
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Other people in general gross me out. So me thinking someone elses milk is gross more of a personal issue rather than anything real or logical
Got it. Not everything I do is logical. I don't eat seafood because to me it smells like a lake during a drought. I do however encourage my kids to eat seafood. Makes no sense what so ever but such is life. It doesn't have to make sense.