View Poll Results: Would you use donor milk from a mother who smokes cigarettes?
Yes! Breast milk is that important 14 11.20%
No! Cigarettes are that dangerous 91 72.80%
I would never use donor milk 16 12.80%
Other 4 3.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #61
paaterzone
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
First I would question why I could carry a baby then not provide milk (I know off point, just..honest answer).

Hypothetically speaking breastmilk from a smoker would still be better. I personally would not ever feel comfortable giving my babies formula.
My BFF couldn't breastfeed after having a traumatic birth experience and undergoing a blood transfusion. Healthy, beautiful baby but couldn't BF as much as she wanted to and as hard as she tried to make it happen. It happens.

Advertisement

paaterzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #62
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would take formula over smokey milk, and my daughter is thriving thanks to supplementation from donor milk.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #63
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBusyBearcubs View Post

I believe that you didn't mean to offend, Katzchen, but, as you can see, this is a very hot issue for us here in the states. I understand what you were saying, but please consider that, by the time someone gets to the point of considering donor milk, she has probably already thought things through quite a bit. She has likely already confirmed her level of breastfeeding ability, and probably wouldn't be considering donor milk if she wasn't sure she couldn't do it herself. This can be a very painful process physically and emotionally (pain that I know you are familiar with), so even innocently suggesting that she might not know what she is doing comes across as very hurtful, both to her, and to other moms who have been there.
Also, you should know that we don't have nearly the amount of support for natural parenting that you do in Europe. (My sister is a doc in Holland and we talk about this stuff.) You have more available resources at your disposal for support and education, while here, our natural parenting resources have to fight for every inch of space (including web space) that they can get.
In other words, someone who thinks they are at the end of their rope might actually have more options than they believe they do. (Which, I think, is what you were trying to say, correct?) However, there are some women who truly, honestly, despite all attempts, are unable to breastfeed. In hindsight, it would have been better for you to simply share your breastfeeding journey, and offer some resources for her to consider, rather than making a statement that, unfortunately, came across as critical.
True. I can't say I know any women that would even know about, much less consider, donor milk that haven't thoroughly researched the subject of BFing inside and out.

And yep, they put formula in the room at the hospital, will give it to babies against request if in the nursery, etc. It's kind of maddening.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 03-12-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #64
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh

True. I can't say I know any women that would even know about, much less consider, donor milk that haven't thoroughly researched the subject of BFing inside and out.

And yep, they put formula in the room at the hospital, will give it to babies against request if in the nursery, etc. It's kind of maddening.

They don't do this everywhere! There was zero formula ever given to me with any of my babies except upon release of my twins, they loaded me up with Enfamil & Similac bags, samples, etc. That was back when formula companies and hospitals could do that! Now to promote BFing they only give upon request or in an emergency.

And to answer the original question, I wouldn't use donor milk and especially not from a smoker. Maybe I would from someone I knew very, very well. I wasn't able to BF my 3rd, my milk just never really came in and I ended up in the hospital with heart failure at 10 days PP. **If** my milk had come in, I still couldn't nurse due to the cocktail of life saving meds I was on.

And oddly, I had a hard time BFing with my first 4 pregnancies but my last was by far the easiest despite so many obstacles. I had 2 surgeries, a house fire, moved and had mastitis in the first 3 mos. I was able to nurse until 13mos and then stop due to thrush! I was bummed!

Last edited by TwinKristi; 03-12-2013 at 11:36 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #65
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

I'll chime in about the formula in hospitals too. I've delivered at the same hospital in CO for both my babies, and the only only only time they offered me formula was with a dropper to put on my nipple to encouraged daughter to want to try and latch, otherwise she just wasn't having a boob.
Jleigh8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #66
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleigh8289
I'll chime in about the formula in hospitals too. I've delivered at the same hospital in CO for both my babies, and the only only only time they offered me formula was with a dropper to put on my nipple to encouraged daughter to want to try and latch, otherwise she just wasn't having a boob.
Yeah I had mine at 3 different hospitals in my area and all were the same. The one I had 4 of my 6 babies at changed their policy after I had my first (twins) there.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #67
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh

I hear this a lot. I have given birth 7 times. In 3 separate areas of the country (east coast, Midwest and west coast) and in 4 different hospitals. I have never seen formula in a room, and I had to ask for it and decline an LC during my first 2 births. (I didn't want to nurse at all with my first 2 babies)

The last 5 babies were all breastfed, I had an LC in my room within 2 hours of birth, and had to ask for a bottle of formula with my last dd who had major latch issues and was super frustrated and hungry. (And had low blood sugar)

Last edited by ktmelody; 03-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #68
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
I left the hospital with my son with the "breast feeding support bag" as they called it (they even originally gave me the formula feeding one and went back to get the breast feeding one). It had two disposable breastmilk storage containers, 6 bottle of rtf formula, and one can of powdered formula.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #69
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you coulodn't breastfeed your baby

The hospital I have to deliver at is not great for bfing at all. I tried with both of mine from the moment they were born. With my last I let them take him for his shot late in the evening, I sent dh home. I ended up falling asleep and they kept him in the nursery and gave him 2 bottles before I woke up. There was a big tag on his bassinet that said he was EBF. I really think this contributed in part to our failure at bfing along with my insanely inverted nipples already making it really difficult.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #70
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, if those are my only 2 choices, I would take formula. I would only choose smoke tainted breastmilk if the water or formula supply was otherwise unsafe for consumption. But in reality, if I couldn't breast feed my order of preference would actually be: toxin-free donor milk, homemade organic goats milk formula, organic powdered formula (tbh, I'm not sure which I would do first out of goats milk or organic powdered, I've never been put in the position that I needed to research it), conventional formula. Smokey breast milk would only become my choice if none of my other preferences were available, and it was a matter of *literally* starving my child (I don't mean "oh lo should have eaten 15 minutes ago, he's starving!") and using formula would be made with unsafe water is the only other option.

Wow. I sound all judgey if it makes any smokers feel better, I consume ridiculous amounts of caffeine. Coffee and I, we're BFFs. so basically, I'm a hypocrite. Still don't want smokey breast milk though. Smokers can reject my caffeine laden milk, I'll reject their smokey milk, and we can just all skip down the formula aisle together
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote