Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Users
cashew milk vs goats milk(because constipated)???

Hi, most of our children have gone from nursing to cashew milk. But that is usually around 8 months.
And they have thrived on cashew milk, along with green lettuce smoothies, lots of raw foods and fruits.

But my baby now is only 5 months and my milk plumeted when my cycle returned which is common for me, even when I am nursing every 2 to 3 hours and through the night. So went to goats milk and adding mollasses, but she is having a terrible time with constipation and it is hurting her tummy. A lot.

Anyone try cashew milk at this age. We make our own with organic cashews as then there is no paservatives. It just seems it would be easier to digest. But I have never done this kind of milk, at this young age. She has also started, fresh raw mango, apple and banana and watered down green smoothies.

Thanks all.

Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: cashew milk vs goats milk(because constipated)???

As a nutrition teacher, I can say I would be seriously concerned about the lack of fat and especially cholesterol in such a young child. Cashews do have healthy fats, but virtually no cholesterol, which is criticial in rapid brain development. In my research, infants under age 2 need significant quanitities of animal milk to receive balanced nutrition, be that human, goat, or cow (assuming of course with goat or cow there are other nutrients being added). You could try to make up the cholesterol with egg yolk or liver, but boy, that would be a risk that she wouldn't get enough . . . . I would probably seek out an organic or all natural source of infant formula or a recipe for such, rather than trying to piece together from various sources.
Melinda29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
My Mood:
A 5 month old needs breastmilk or formula. There's no way I would do just milk of any kind at that age.

If you are ok with goat milk, I would look into a homemade goat milk formula.
Married to Scott and Mama to Evelyn (5) Annabelle (3) and Abraham (1)

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Users

I wonder if there are any goat milk formula recipes that include some coconut?? Coconut tends to get things moving.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I would try adding a probiotics supplement to every bottle. We use Jarrow's (found at the local Whole Foods Markets), and I simply keep it refrigerated, break up the capsule before every time I give the bottle, and mix it in there with my pumped milk.

Another option is organic formula, if you're willing to try it.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote