Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
At work issues

What can I do? I work in a small office for a non profit that's governed by 40 board members. Recently, the staff and I have run into numerous issues with a new employee and the boss.

All the other employees and I have talked to the boss about the issues we're facing with this new employee, and he's made it seem like he's trying to help us resolve these issues....but she can come and go as she pleases, she snaps and makes biting remarks to us, and she is just flat out rude and attempts to make us feel inferior constantly. She takes control of everything and my boss just doesn't seem to care much, except to have a little talk with her once in a while.

The other day, a harmless incident occurred, and the rest of the staff and myself were called into the boss's office. New lady got upset over something that was completely innocent, and our boss really thought we were being malicious. He even sent us an email with a threat, hinting that we can all be out of our jobs if we ever behave like that again. Again, it was a complete misunderstanding and before he even heard our side, we were threatened.

What can I do? All the board members are his friends. They're all volunteers so they hardly care. Our super was reduced to tears because she has been here 30 years. I am searching fast and furiously for a new job but I live in a state with the highest unemployment rate in the country.

I've been ignoring the new lady unless I have to deal with her, and I have let the boss know this. The new lady makes me uncomfortable and he's aware of that. But now I'm furious over how the boss is threatening us with our jobs. I printed out the email the boss had sent us but...what do I do with it if we have no HR department and no board members who will listen?

Advertisement

keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: At work issues

Even if you don't think the board will listen, can you organize every single person together and file the complaint together? To the board?

Sounds like this new lady is tight with the board or the boss? Is she in leadership or low man on the totem pole?

Sorry you are dealing with that.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Keep record of every incident with her and interactions with the boss. If you can (as a group) go back and record the previous incidents, how you handled them and what steps your boss took (or didn't take) as well. At least if you have it all recorded you have something to show the board if he or she tries to malign the rest of the employees.
Only other thing, maybe kill her with kindness. If everyone is super sugary sweet or something. It could be a running joke between everyone else your "fake" kindness to help keep you all in spirits, but if the boss favours her there really doesn't seem to be much else you can do.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be looking for a new job and start documenting everything.

From my experience with the employee that got away with everything, she never got reprimanded (she was way to "close" with the boss and she was his little pet) and I got let go. Anything I did was a huge deal so to speak and she got away with everything. She made things horrible for me at work.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm familiar with small nonprofits, and I feel for you. What role does the new person have? Is she a fundraiser?

My suggestion would be to ask to meet with the Board President to discuss. Have documentation of incidents, behavior, etc. If he or she doesn't take it seriously, then find another job. Unfortunately that's about all you will be able to do unless she is harassing.

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairSailing188 View Post
I'm familiar with small nonprofits, and I feel for you. What role does the new person have? Is she a fundraiser?

My suggestion would be to ask to meet with the Board President to discuss. Have documentation of incidents, behavior, etc. If he or she doesn't take it seriously, then find another job. Unfortunately that's about all you will be able to do unless she is harassing.
Yes, she's the new fundraising person and I'm marketing. However, when the last guy left, he was let go on rather unfair terms, so this new lady's role includes some of my marketing duties (to avoid a lawsuit). So we work together and she isn't "higher" than me, but she certainly thinks so.

We have been documenting everything. This was my first threat from the boss.

The last fundraising guy actually went to the board after he was let go (he knew what they were doing was wrong) and told them EVERYTHING that was going on here. Nothing was done.

I'll start beefing up my resume some more. :Sigh:
Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, fundraisers are all a little crazy anyway, so I'm not surprised that's who it was. Sounds like there are some bigger issues than just new crazy lady. Definitely get your resume together and start looking. I worked in fundraising for awhile and then as a fundraising software consultant for a long time so I'm familiar with the industry; send me a PM and I'll see if I can't help you network in your area!

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
RachEwen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just keep doing what you're doing (keeping records of everything) and hopefully it will either get better or something better will cross your path.
I lost my job to someone like her a few weeks ago. Hugs. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
RachEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just want to say I feel for you. I also have a demon co worker, and the administration won't do anything about her. The principal has agreed she is wacky, but he will not discipline her and she is saying horrible things to students with special needs. I have a documentation file about her behavior,and wrote a letter to the boss, but ultimately I am looking for a new job.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am looking and might have a position lined up, once it's approved by the board. The Executive Director of a new agency would really love to have me, and she even explained the benefits, vacation, etc. for their office.

We had a staff meeting and while the new lady has toned down a bit, I've come to the realization that no one can drive a wedge between her and the boss. My boss has completely checked out, honestly. And I'm starting to as well.

Thanks so much, ladies. And I'm so sorry for anyone who's in this same situation. It really stinks!

I never realized how miserable I could be. I even dread waking up and coming to the office every day.