Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile FREE Reusable grocery and produce bags Giveaway on Youtube

I have a vlog on youtube, and I'm giving away a reusable shopping bag and a set of 5 reusable produce bags. All you have to do is click on the link below, subscribe to my channel and leave a comment on the video. I wanted all my cloth mama's to have a chance to win!! I will be picking the winner at random in one week. Good Luck guys!!

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: FREE Reusable grocery and produce bags Giveaway on Youtube

I don't even have a youtube account, but these look great!

I have what may be a stupid question. I have bought reusable bags twice (both of which tore apart at the seams ridiculously fast). But what do you use in your garbage pails? I reuse the plastic bags in my small garbage pails. Although I come home with more of those bags than I will need, due to how chintzy they are, half of them usually have holes. Therefore, I do reuse most of the bags that don't have holes in my three small trashcans each week. I know that the plastic bag design hasn't been the best for wildlife, so I feel bad about using them. But I feel like if I buy small garbagepail bags, I'm probably not doing the earth that much good relative to reusing the Kroger bags. Thoughts?

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use grocery bags in my garbage cans too! I am still transitioning to reusable bags, and so I found this and fell in love. I haven't quite decided what to do with garbage cans yet. The only small one we have, is in our master bath. The guest bath never gets used cause it has a walk in shower, so I bath the kids in our tub. So it only ever gets used if we have someone come over. But I have also used those clear bags that disposable diapers come in when you buy the box. I use them at night, so I find that those are really nice and don't look like you have a bag in them. I dump out the garbage into our big bag usually and just keep reusing that bag cause all that's ever in it, is tissues, and qtips. The only time I throw the bag out is after that time of the month lol.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ah, I'm on cloth pads for that time of the month--now that's a switch *I* can recommend! I actually use the small garbage cans more than I use the big one b/c I'm so sensitive to the smells of rotting food, etc. (I prefer to take things out more often.) Well, I still put myself on your list (found my latent youtube account) b/c using one when I go to the store and reusing the rest of the store bags might be a good balance for me.

I have tried to look for biodegradable small can bags in case they weren't too expensive, but all I saw were composting bags that are apparently very weak and are a pretty penny to boot. And the reality is that I don't even have recycling here yet. So filling a composting bag with stuff I could be recycling elsewhere only helps so much, right? Actually it's kind of comical if only it weren't so sad, lol.

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
tokidokikashikoi
Registered Users
seller

I don't use a bag in my bathroom garbage. I just empty it into the kitchen garbage when its full or I'm taking the garbage out. And then I wipe it out with a Clorox wipe or rag from time to time to keep it clean. Tissues and qtips don't really make a mess!
tokidokikashikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ah, I'll have to pay attention to what I am typically throwing out in there to consider that. I actually quite often skip using a big bag in the kitchen for the aforementioned reasons and just repeatedly fill up a small pail though, so it would mean a few changes. Thanks.

Last edited by debcita429; 03-12-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been thinking about getting mama cloth, but I don't like pads of any kind lol. I like my tampons way to much, and the diva cup idea just scares me, that it will just make a mess! lol. We don't have recycling here either. It sucks, cause I just look at my garbage and think to myself all the time, how that could have been recycled. The only thing that gets recycled at my house, is cans. We save them up, then once there are enough to make the trip worth while, my husband hauls them in on the trailer and we usually get about $25 bucks per trailer load.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
lilysmom2011
Registered Users
seller

That's so sad that there's no recycling! Where do you guys live. We typically fill one garbage bag and 3 or 4 recycling bins. The garbage comes weekly and the recycling comes biweekly
lilysmom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lilysmom, I live in Tennessee. I used to live in Nj. where you would be fined if you DIDN'T recycle, so this is just bizarre to me.... Sigh. I do manage to reuse a lot of stuff and almost never use any cans. So that's something, but still.

Realmommy, I hear you. For almost the first decade of my period I used tampons constantly (and during one insanely heavy year LAYERED pads beneath). But I had switched to sposie pads almost exclusively for several years before making the cloth switch. I had switched from tampons to ultrathin sposies to help keep fungal/bacterial colonies in balance. It did help, although sposies had the side effect of giving me rashes. I totally wouldn't trust myself with a diva cup. So I'm with you there.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
I have what may be a stupid question. I have bought reusable bags twice (both of which tore apart at the seams ridiculously fast). But what do you use in your garbage pails? I reuse the plastic bags in my small garbage pails. Although I come home with more of those bags than I will need, due to how chintzy they are, half of them usually have holes. Therefore, I do reuse most of the bags that don't have holes in my three small trashcans each week. I know that the plastic bag design hasn't been the best for wildlife, so I feel bad about using them. But I feel like if I buy small garbagepail bags, I'm probably not doing the earth that much good relative to reusing the Kroger bags. Thoughts?
We use reusable bags but most trips I still end up with one or two plastic bags so that covers us for the little trash cans in our house. During the summer we have major ant issues, so for our kitchen trash I switch to the little trash cans and we take it out at least once a day, so at the beginning of the summer I do one shopping trip without my reuseable bags, and get a bunch of the plastic ones. Once we start to get low again, I do another trip without the reusables. Like most cloth things, using reusable bags does not have to be an all or nothing type of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMommyLife View Post
I have been thinking about getting mama cloth, but I don't like pads of any kind lol. I like my tampons way to much, and the diva cup idea just scares me, that it will just make a mess! lol. We don't have recycling here either. It sucks, cause I just look at my garbage and think to myself all the time, how that could have been recycled. The only thing that gets recycled at my house, is cans. We save them up, then once there are enough to make the trip worth while, my husband hauls them in on the trailer and we usually get about $25 bucks per trailer load.
I can't stand mama cloth -- I feel like I am wearing a diaper. But I absolutely love my Diva! I would suggest giving it a shot. You might just like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
Lilysmom, I live in Tennessee. I used to live in Nj. where you would be fined if you DIDN'T recycle, so this is just bizarre to me.... Sigh. I do manage to reuse a lot of stuff and almost never use any cans. So that's something, but still.

Realmommy, I hear you. For almost the first decade of my period I used tampons constantly (and during one insanely heavy year LAYERED pads beneath). But I had switched to sposie pads almost exclusively for several years before making the cloth switch. I had switched from tampons to ultrathin sposies to help keep fungal/bacterial colonies in balance. It did help, although sposies had the side effect of giving me rashes. I totally wouldn't trust myself with a diva cup. So I'm with you there.
I'm in Tennessee too. They don't pick up our recycling, but there are recycling bins behind city hall so every couple weeks we take it there. Is there anywhere near you that you could bring it to? And with the Diva thing -- I use a mama cloth liner when I wear my cup, as it just gives me that extra confidence. If sposie pads give you a rash (they do for me too), I highly suggest a diva with a cloth liner.