Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Thanks for all the tips so far. Next time I'm in town I'm going to pick up some supplies. I noticed online they have acrylic hooks and bamboo, any difference?!

Advertisement

theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Now I'm super confused!! This is what I want to learn to do, I want a swim suit, a tiered hippie skirt with crochet borders in between the teiers and like some hole-y over shirts. Is this knitting or chrochet?!

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 04-20-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Talk to me about crochet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
Now I'm super confused!! This is what I want to learn to do, I want a swim suit, a tiered hippie skirt with crochet borders in between the teiers and like some hole-y over shirts. Is this knitting or chrochet?!
The white skirt (at least between the fabric) and the far right shirt are crochet for sure. I'm betting the swimsuit is, though it is hard to tell and I can't tell what the black skirt is at all from the picture. All but the last one are crochet or lace or whatever sewn onto fabric, so you would not be making the whole project just from yarn and your crochet hook, you would need fabric and a sewing machine too.

To get an idea of what you can make, I really suggest going to ravelry.com, click on their patterns tab, search for whatever you are interested in (hippie skirt or shirt or bathing suit), narrow your search on the left by checking the crochet box. Their database is amazingly comprehensive and will give you an excellent idea of what kind of patterns you can get to work with.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelFlores

The white skirt (at least between the fabric) and the far right shirt are crochet for sure. I'm betting the swimsuit is, though it is hard to tell and I can't tell what the black skirt is at all from the picture. All but the last one are crochet or lace or whatever sewn onto fabric, so you would not be making the whole project just from yarn and your crochet hook, you would need fabric and a sewing machine too.

To get an idea of what you can make, I really suggest going to ravelry.com, click on their patterns tab, search for whatever you are interested in (hippie skirt or shirt or bathing suit), narrow your search on the left by checking the crochet box. Their database is amazingly comprehensive and will give you an excellent idea of what kind of patterns you can get to work with.
Great! Thanks for responding! I've Already got a bit of sewing skills so I guess crochet is next and I'll b
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another way to practice simple stitches is to punch holes around a fleece blanket and crochet an edge around it. I love doing this for a quick project. It's pretty simple and mindless and very forgiving if you pick a simple edging.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
beautifulboyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a pretty dang awesome crochet board on Pinterest. So here you go for inspiration. http://pinterest.com/aleks2307/crochet/
I second youtube. My mom tried to teach me years and years ago but I was never interested in it. Then, I saw some really cute things and learned through youtube.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulboyz
I have a pretty dang awesome crochet board on Pinterest. So here you go for inspiration. http://pinterest.com/aleks2307/crochet/
I second youtube. My mom tried to teach me years and years ago but I was never interested in it. Then, I saw some really cute things and learned through youtube.
Oh my goodness! Your board makes me NEED a little girl. *sigh* I'm so jealous.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
TexasMelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, YouTube is awesome.

Check out
Crochet by Teresa

I used her videos to help re-teach myself and they are great.

I agree, using large yarn. Cotton is great because it tends to be thicker and the stitches easier to see.

And remember, practice practice!

I LOVE to crochet and find it very relaxing!
Calming the Storm
TexasMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
beautifulboyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith View Post
Oh my goodness! Your board makes me NEED a little girl. *sigh* I'm so jealous.
Lol, my case exactly! I have three boys so maybe one day these pins will actually come in handy. =)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
photocowgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Crochet with a light color so you can see your stitches... I crochet a lot of hats... baby hats are quick and you can donate them when they are done and practice lots of different stitches... I learned from pictures, but was doing it wrong so definitely second youtube or a crochet class...
photocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote