View Poll Results: what age did you leave the kids overnight?
0-2 months 6 4.41%
2-4 months 12 8.82%
6-12 months 10 7.35%
1 year + 75 55.15%
Never left my kids overnight 33 24.26%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #31
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what age did you leave child overnight?

My daughter is almost one and she hasn't slept away from me yet. I imagine when she self weans she will do sleepovers at my parents.

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #32
Nora+6
Registered Users

My 7 year old has never slept a night without one or both of us parents being there from night to morning (I have worked 3rd shift, and I now am often home after he's asleep when I work every other weekend, but Dad is there, then). When my husband has traveled for work, then I was home the entire time. I stayed over a night in the city with a friend...last year?...and the kids stayed with my husband, but I feel as though you mean "leave" as with a non-parent. So for him, never.

With the older three...hm, this is pushing my memory. If I was in the hospital for birth or surgery, the kids were with my then-husband at night, not with friends or extended family. The first time my daughter slept out of our house without me was after my husband left, and the kids would sleep over every other weekend...as for her staying with a friend or my parents...maybe 7? When I had to go to the hospital for overnight surgery and was single. She was never fond of sleeping away from me. For the two older boys...they were maybe 8 or 9 each when first sleeping away from both parents.

We never had a need to leave our infants, or even young toddlers.
Nora+6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Right at 2 when my older daughter weaned. My younger is 1 and hasn't had a sleepover and won't until she weans either.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #34
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD was over 2yo when DH and I left her for 4 days with my mom to go on our honeymoon. Then a month before her 3rd birthday, my mom watched her for 2 nights because I was in the hospital having DS1.
When DD was 5 1/2 and DS1 was 2 1/2 my mom stayed with them at my house because I was in the hospital having DS2.
DS2 has never been without a parent at night, he's almost 3 1/2yo.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Never left my almost 3 year olds.

Actually, I'm really surprised by the options all being under 1 year. Are that many people leaving infants with someone else overnight?
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #36
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

DD is almost 2, and I've never left her overnight. The first time will be fairly soon though, probably shortly after her second birthday.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #37
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS was 4.5 the first time we left him overnight. Our closes family lives about 9 hours away, so it is not really easy to do. We left DS for 4 nights to go to a wedding out of the country. We will be leaving him again this May (he will be 6.5) for two nights when we go away to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

There have been quite a few nights when either DP or myself have not been home, but those are the only two times we have/will have been both away at the same time.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #38
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD1 was about 9 months old. My mom is my full time daycare. There were a few nights where we were still at her house at 8, which was DD's bedtime. I fed her and put her to bed there, and that saved DH from driving back there first thing in the morning the next morning. She wasn't nursing in the middle of the night by that point anyway, so grandma could comfort her the same as me.

DD2 was 8 months old. DS was in the hospital and had coded twice that day. Needless to say, I wasn't leaving his side. The hospital had gotten me a breastpump, and allowed me to store milk, and my mom kept the baby for two nights. After that, DH stayed at the hospital 24/7 and I came home at night to be with her for the rest of the week.

DS didn't get left til he was about 18 months and started overnight visits with his biodad. Other than that, he was 3.5 before I ever left him with my mom, and it was for MIL's funeral. Some of that was due to his feeding tube, and some of it was due to him being a foster child. My mom is perfectly capable of handling his feeding tube, but doesn't love doing it if she doesn't have to.

His biodad, however, left him all over the place, including home alone when he had him.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-13-2013 at 10:24 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #39
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD will be 4 on Friday ( ) and has never been away from us overnight. Her first time will be when I have the twins in June/July. DS is 6 1/2. His first time was at 2 1/2 when I had DD, I was away from him for 1 night, but DH came home and slept with him. He's slept at my parents' maybe 3 or 4 times.
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #40
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Never. DS is 2 1/2. The first time I won't be here is when this next little one is born (hopefully within the next two weeks) but DH will be here with him unless it is a night birth. I'm hoping it isn't because I don't like the idea of someone else trying to get him down. He is going to be a nightmare for them. I'm hoping I labor overnight and go in in the morning and have the baby so DH can be home with DS that night.

Luckily we are military so we have never lived close enough to family for DS to have a sleepover. I think, at this point in time, I wouldn't have a problem leaving him with my mom. DH's parents, yeah not so much.

I'm also surprised by the fact that all of the options were under 1 year old.