View Poll Results: what age did you leave the kids overnight?
0-2 months 6 4.41%
2-4 months 12 8.82%
6-12 months 10 7.35%
1 year + 75 55.15%
Never left my kids overnight 33 24.26%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #61
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I honestly don't know. I think DS1 was about 2.5 the first time he stayed over at my parents' house. DS2 was probably 20 months or so. DS1 has had sleepovers with my parents, and with his cousins (my bro/SIL's kids), some just for fun, some because of an odd work schedule. DS2 so far has only had sleepovers with my parents twice, and only due to crazy scheduling. DH and I are homebodies. We don't go out or need a lot of time to ourselves. My parents love our kids very much, but they aren't "drop off the kids any time you want" kind of grandparents.

I couldn't care less what works for other families. This works for my family and everyone is happy with the set up we have. I don't judge anyone for leaving their kids at a younger age or never leaving them at all.

Advertisement

Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #62
carriecook'n'sew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I really don't remember with my big girls.... Probably 4 years or older because I can't think of anyone who would have taken them until we moved.

DS is just over 1 and doesn't sleep thru the night . One of his aunts is dying to take him and I'd kill to sleep a full night lol but I'm scared for both of them....

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Source Specializing in Embroidered Wool & Clothing Sets!! Interlock & Upcycled
ETSY STORE
Bitty Fluff Congo Adorable Newborn Fluff!
carriecook'n'sew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #63
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: what age did you leave child overnight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Defensive much? No one is judging you, chill out. It was just a question.

ETA: Went back and read every single post. Literally 0 judgmental or passive aggressive remarks, no claims of never would they ever leave their kids.

So... what was the point of that post exactly?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
I didn't mean to come off so hot, but honestly, without knowing what exactly the OP is lookingn for, we're just comparing data. There's no right answer here. I hate these comparison threads because they carry a vibe that there's a right and a wrong answer when there's not. I was just really surprised to see people justifying why they would have ever left a kid overnight. There's no need for justification. It's not wrong to leave a kid overnight, most of the time.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #64
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I voted 2-4 months, but it was really closer to 5-6 months but there wasn't that option.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #65
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I let my kids decide when they want to visit Noni overnight. For both of them it was past 2 years of age and they both enjoyed their visit. They love going to see her and spending the night.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #66
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Claire was 22 months. We went on a mini vacation before Micah was born. It was ROUGH. Micah is 12 months this coming week and I can't imagine leaving him overnight any time soon.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #67
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

As this comes up i have just dropped my 2.5 dd and 10 month dd overnight at gramdma and grandpas for no reason except dd asked to go stay. We left when dd said bye now. They were both paying with papa when we left. We will pick them up at about 11 am. This happens at least once if not twice a month.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #68
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post

I didn't mean to come off so hot, but honestly, without knowing what exactly the OP is lookingn for, we're just comparing data. There's no right answer here. I hate these comparison threads because they carry a vibe that there's a right and a wrong answer when there's not. I was just really surprised to see people justifying why they would have ever left a kid overnight. There's no need for justification. It's not wrong to leave a kid overnight, most of the time.
So why assume she has ulterior motives? It could very well just be that simple. You're correct, there is no wrong answer. There are just answers. But I also don't see people justifying anything. Saying I spent Saturday at the park isn't justifying how I spent my time, it's just sharing the total experience. Details don't equate to justification. I really think you're reading far more into this than is necessary.

ETA: It sounds like you've had some pretty negative judgy experiences. I think we all have tbh. So I can understand hesitation on a question that is often times a loaded one. But I think coming in with shields up and ready to go isn't always necessary. Sometimes mamas are simply curious, or want to know they aren't alone. And thus far, no one has put the thread in that direction. I'm sorry if some people have made you feel like you have to justify your parenting or put you on edge I really don't see any reason to think OP is doing that, though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 03-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #69
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

My girls are 2.5 and 5 and have never spent the night away from us. If either set of grandparents lived closer, they probably would have by now, but we have no family nearby.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #70
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

About age 2 or 3. I don't have a lot of places to leave them . My parents have them spend the night 1-2 nights a year. The kids love it. DS1 and DD both went about age 2 for the first time, but DS2 was 3 before he had a chance. It would be nice for us, if they offered more often, but I'll take the couple nights.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote