Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think I hate my Mirena

I got my Mirena last summer (about 10 weeks pp) and my periods have pretty much ceased, except for I will spot a very little bit occasionally, but it usually happens only when I am stressed (like family visiting, moving).

Suddenly I am actually having a heavier flow (some small clots/brown looking flow) which is just out of the ordinary. I am not any more stressed than usual, so I don't think it is related. I just hate the irregularity and every once in a while I will get weird pains that don't feel like normal AF cramping. Since I keep hearing bad things and horror stories about Mirena, I am thinking of getting it removed and trying some other BC method.

I hate the pill and don't want to do the depo shot. I really want to try something non hormonal and condoms ain't happenin'!

Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think I hate my Mirena

You can always try the copper ring. It's non hormonal. You should read up on how it works though depending on how you feel (religion and when life begins etc).

As for the mirena, it can take up to a full year to not get spotting and some women will always get it.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymamaNY View Post
You can always try the copper ring. It's non hormonal. You should read up on how it works though depending on how you feel (religion and when life begins etc).

As for the mirena, it can take up to a full year to not get spotting and some women will always get it.
Do you mean like the copper IUD? I'm just not sure if I am crazy about having an IUD anymore. Does anyone know if the risks are the same or fewer than with the Mirena?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I loved the copper IUD. It was great. I had no issues, normal cycles, no pain. My period flow was my regular flow.I loved that there was no hormones in it and my DH could not feel it.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I think a lot of women blame normal PP issues on Mirena personally (period changes, weight gain, etc) but you ruled out most forms of BC otherwise. It may comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils.

I had it and was happy and will get it again, but many women do experience cycle changes PP and don't have BC at all. There was even a recent thread on this, in SS maybe?

You have to realize this is a very "green" board for the most part. The vast majority of society is mainstream and uses Mirena or hormonal BC just fine. so seeking out all the negative stories in a cluster will make it appear most are unhappy with it or have some problem, when in reality that is a tiny portion and even smaller that's having an actual problem vs a normal PP issue.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 03-15-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read the other thread, but I can tell you that I had the Mirena for about 10 months before I had it removed. It was God awful. I had the worst cramping, weight gain, mood swings, and peri-oral dermatitis. I have always had flawless skin and I erupted in this crazy raw, red rash all over my face that wouldn't go away for anything. I tried about 10 different rx's before a good dermatologist suggested having the Mirena removed. The rash cleared up two weeks later! I had it taken out last September, and come to find out, it had embedded itself. It took a SURGERY to remove it. What followed was the worst period I have ever had, for about 10 days in early October. I haven't had a period since! That thing messed me up big time.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthepickles View Post
I haven't read the other thread, but I can tell you that I had the Mirena for about 10 months before I had it removed. It was God awful. I had the worst cramping, weight gain, mood swings, and peri-oral dermatitis. I have always had flawless skin and I erupted in this crazy raw, red rash all over my face that wouldn't go away for anything. I tried about 10 different rx's before a good dermatologist suggested having the Mirena removed. The rash cleared up two weeks later! I had it taken out last September, and come to find out, it had embedded itself. It took a SURGERY to remove it. What followed was the worst period I have ever had, for about 10 days in early October. I haven't had a period since! That thing messed me up big time.
Yikes! Yeah, I recently moved, so once I find a new OB I am going to talk to her about having it removed and trying another BC method. I'm freaked out about it imbedding and half the time I have a really hard time feeling for my "strings". I can only feel one and it's always way up and feels like it's wrapped around . . . I've never been a big fan of The Pill either, but I may have to use that again . . . I have crazy irregular AF anyway, so NFP would not work for us . . . so frustrating!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I had it put in about 3 months PP after my second baby. It was great for almost a year. Then it was like puberty again. Overly oily skin and hair. Painful acne outbreaks, and bacne, ick, mood was awful, headaches. I had it removed and things got better.

I wasn't interested in hormonal BC after the baby was born, but in November I started NuvaRing, and I like it. So far, it works out well for me. I can't tell it's there, but I can easily change it. It's a 3 week in, 1 week out deal, but I just do three weeks in, take it out, then a new one. It's like people who skip the placebo pills on BCP. So i don't have a monthly period. I'm letting myself have a period now for the first time since I started it, and it's not bad.