Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
For those that have/do have a Paragard IUD

Do the heavy cycles start to level out eventually? I've always had fairly heavy cycles, but I am going through 2 overnight pads in an hour. Even using the disposable ones; it's actually worse with them. I was told the diva/luna cup and tampons were not to be used with the IUD so I haven't tried that yet to see if it helps. I've had the IUD for about a year now (I actually go to have the placement checked up next week) so I'm really hoping it will get better. I really can't use another form of birth control as anything with hormones in it really affects my depression and therefore also worsens my anxiety, even the Mirena IUD did (I know, it's not supposed to work like that - but it did for me ). We are extremely fertile and got pregnant with my second using condoms (after I stopped taking the low dose birth control because it was literally making me feel crazy) so I'm not really a fan of that option as I really don't want to take that chance right now...Other than the heavy cycles I have been happy with the copper IUD so far and had no other side effects. Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for some support and hope. I guess I need to sew me up some cloth depends!

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: For those that have/do have a Paragard IUD

I had mine for two years and at first it was ok but my periods kept getting heavier and longer. Finally I said no more. I had it removed and my periods became very light and only three days long. Probably no what you wanted to hear sorry.
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

I bled like a stuck pig. Turns out mine had perforated. If you are bleeding that bad, IMHO, you need to go to a doctor sooner than later.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
You can certainly use tampons with an iud. The diva cups aren't supposed to be used because the suction can dislodge them. I only used tampons. I believe that you're not supposed to use tampons the first cycle to avoid introduction of bacteria when the cervix is still open

had big problems with hormonal bc. I was crazy on low dose progesterone only pils. On mixed pills, I bled mid cycle. It was like two periods a month.

I got an iud before I had kids, I agree it did make my flow longer but not more of it. Mine went from 4 days to 6 days. I had it for 7 years. I took it out when I wanted to get pregnant and my periods went back to four days. I had my last baby 8 weeks ago and got another paraguard 2 weeks ago. To me the increased flow was ok because it was only once a month and I wasn't crazy.

I do think that soaking thru a pad an hour is too much. Have you talked to dr about it?
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to when I go on Monday. I've been bleeding like this every period for a year now so I'm not sure a few days is going to make a difference...FWIW, I have always had to use overnight pads during my cycle. It's just that I'm going through them 2X as fast now compared to before. I wish I could go back to the Mirena, I hardly had a period with it.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IDK, now I'm wondering if I should just get it taken out and try the low dose pill again. I had PPD when I took it last time and don't now so maybe it will won't make crazy like it did last time? We don't have insurance and I had to pay OOP for the IUD as well as this appt. so I hate to have spent that much on it just to have it removed...but I'm getting sick of this. Now I'm paranoid about it having perforated. I would be in pain, though, if that had happened, right?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
If you have depression/anxiety issues make sure that you're not getting a progesterone only pill (like the mini pill) they're notorious for causing "crazy lady" Syndrome. It's the same with mirena and nuvaring.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Argh, I do have a history of depression and anxiety. It's maintained right now without medication so I certainly don't want to make it worse...seems like the only other option would be to wean my 18 month old and get on the pill. Obviously, she'd survive but I really don't want to do that. But I really can't/don't want to get pregnant either!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I had the Paragaurd for 2 years and never had heavier periods. They lasted a bit longer, but never got worse. I heard that it was a common side effect og it and expercted it as mine are uber heavy to begin with. I used clothe pads and tampons when I had mine. I heard you cannot use the cup due to the suction, but tampons are fine.

Sorry you are bleeding so much.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe using tampons would help because then I could use the pads to catch the excess. I remember specifically asking if I could use them and the lady said no, but this was at the family planning clinic (because it's cheaper paying OOP there since it's sliding fee scale) and she was already very short with me. Well, except when she lectured me 2X about multiple sex partners, AFTER I had already told her I was married and had the same partner for over 6 years...