Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers
How would I convince her to try nursing again? The last few times we have tried have been cuddled up on the rocker in her room at night, so the perfect atmosphere, and she still just wants nothing to do with the boob. I had always planned on nursing till 1 year and everywhere I look it says I'm a horrible mother for not nursing at least 1-2 years. I really want to continue on...
Try it while she's sleeping... That's when instincts will kick in, with no distractions.

As long as you are TRYING, you aren't horrible, even if it doesn't work out

Advertisement

Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
My dd1 self weaned at 9 months but still wanted milk from bottle. I talked about it with LC who said that baby probably just wanted something easier than BF'ing. Contact a LC if you need some help.

You're absolutely not a bad mom; nursing is a relationship of two. You can't force baby to take boob. Plus the baby loves you for having its best interests at heart not because its bf or ff.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is 2oz a day worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
My dd1 self weaned at 9 months but still wanted milk from bottle. I talked about it with LC who said that baby probably just wanted something easier than BF'ing. Contact a LC if you need some help.
I'm 100% sure this is the case, we were seeing a speech/lang. pathologist already to help her with fatigue and very jaw muscle tone. Poor little thing was nearly starving before we could figure out what was wrong and started bottle feeding her Unfortunately me and the pump have NEVER gotten along and the most I could ever pump was 4oz with a 5th hand expressed after
Old 03-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
birdinhand
Registered Users

7-10ish months is the time when breastfed babies might have a nursing strike. Sometimes this is brought on by an incident, let's say they bite mom and mom gives a reaction that scares baby (because it does hurt, and no one likes that kind of surprise!). Other times, there is so much going on developmentally that babies get distracted really easily, and it is hard for them to settle to nurse -- the world is just opening up around them and who has the time to nurse?

Like mom2jandb said, while a baby is sleeping, often they will take the breast because they "forget" they weren't taking it; alsmo moms find nursing naked, in the bathtub together can be helpful. If it is distraction, sometimes it involves totally changing the environment -- going into a dark, boring room, or a blanket over baby, etc. Just get creative -- try nursing her while you are walking around your house! Mix it up. You can try any manner of toddler acrobatic nursing positions.

If it doesn't work, you need to be okay with your decision. If you look into meds, I would highly suggest staying away from Reglan. It can have a lot of psychological side effects, as well as some annoying physical ones; Domperidone is much safer although our USDA doesn't think so (but Canada, Europe, Australia, and NZ are okay with it!). And a galactogogue is only as good as the pumping behind it, so if you do go that route, you do need to increase your pumping times.

It's up to you -- you know your baby and your situation best.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

While I know reglan can have a lot of side effects, I have been on it nearly a year with nay one. So, if it is all you can get it may work for you too.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Midwife@heart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would prefer Domperidone
Midwife@heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwife@heart View Post
I would prefer Domperidone
For the record, I do too. If you can afford it I say do the Domperidone. I cannot and Reglan is paid for by my insurance. I have to take it to nurse.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
Midwife@heart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I ordered mine overseas. It was cheaper than getting it from a compounding pharmacy here.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwife@heart View Post
I ordered mine overseas. It was cheaper than getting it from a compounding pharmacy here.
I cannot afford any money. Reglan is free for me. If I could afford anything I would do it.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
Midwife@heart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post

I cannot afford any money. Reglan is free for me. If I could afford anything I would do it.
Yeah, that makes sense.