Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: what got you through transition (natural birth)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism View Post
The idea that all I had to do was stay out of the way and allow it to happen. For some reason that image helped a lot.
I like this idea.

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #22
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The bathtub and an awesome doula helping me breathe in a way that I've never heard of before and I'm a trained doula and childbirth educator. It's like you push the air out through your mouth during a contraction.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism View Post
Graceful was the last thing I was. Are there really mamas that have graceful births? If there are I am not sure I can be friends with them. They are clearly a different breed.
The videos we watched in my birth class showed these silent, stoic women. No noise when pushing. Minimal noise through transition. I think it really psyched me out for my first birth because I was so loud and unable to get through without complaining and crying. I was not what we saw in birth class on the dvd's so I thought I was doing it wrong.

Now that I'm an instructor I really try to vary what I show to my students, because I want them to know that if they are whining it's okay, if they are quiet it's okay, if they are loud it's okay. For my last birth I said, out loud, to the room, "Can everyone in here please just acknowledge that THIS REALLY SUCKS!?!" and they did, and I felt better for that one contraction at least!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeast

This is me too. I always say at the end that I did a bad job and my DH and midwife are like "What? You didn't hardly make a noise!" But in my head, it's chaos. But I do whimper at the pushing stage.
)
Lol DH said it was unnerving... He knew I was in loads of pain but I was totally silent for like 4 hours :-). They kept asking me "let us know when you're having a contraction, is this a contraction, on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is it?" In my head I was screaming at them ARE YOU KIDDING ME IT's ALL CONTRACTIONS I'M TRIPLE PEAKING HERE LEAVE ME THE HECK ALONE! :-)
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #25
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

close my eyes, hum/vocalize lOUDly through each contraction, head down, ignore everyone, push baby out as fast as possible, lol. That's my trick
Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
Umm... oxygen? LOL No really, I wasn't handling it very well (I distinctly remember wanting out of my body!), and wasn't breathing evenly, so I got an oxygen mask. Nothing really helped me through it, I just did it because I had no choice!
^This for pushing. And I then focused on FIGHTING the stupid thing that felt like they were trying to smother me to death with and then the Dr finally got there and baby boy #3 was out in minutes. Don't arrive at the hospital at 9cm at 6 AM if you don't want to freak out some nurses.

For transition, riding in the car for about 25 minutes and keeping focused on NOT making your DH wreak works OK...but I don't want to try it again.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #27
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is no secret answer. It's painful. But...breathing deeply, making lots of deep sounds worked for me. I also did a lot better upright, but not standing. #1 was on the toilet, #2 was on the birthing stool. I think it helped speed things up, too since gravity kind of worked it's magic! GL mama, and have a wonderful birth
Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #28
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had four natural births, and transition is definitely the most challenging part, no doubt about it. I think what helped me most is
1. being in the water. LOVE the warm bath in labour.
2. doing ONE contraction at a time. Don't let yourself think about how much further you might have to go, or anything like that. Get through THIS contraction and then think about the break that will come. And then breathe, and let it go.
3. letting the contraction do it's work as best I could without fighting it.
4. Remembering that when you get to the "I hate this, I can't do this, this is awful and terrible" stage, you're ALMOST DONE. Get someone to remind you of that when you hit that point.

All the best for a great birth, mama! You can do it!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I got through it by yelling and crying and acting like a big baby...all three times. I'm committed to natural births, but I'm not graceful about it AT ALL.
lol this

Allison - mama to Olivia and baby Nora my Valentine's day VBAC!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~
I've had four natural births, and transition is definitely the most challenging part, no doubt about it. I think what helped me most is
1. being in the water. LOVE the warm bath in labour.
2. doing ONE contraction at a time. Don't let yourself think about how much further you might have to go, or anything like that. Get through THIS contraction and then think about the break that will come. And then breathe, and let it go.
3. letting the contraction do it's work as best I could without fighting it.
4. Remembering that when you get to the "I hate this, I can't do this, this is awful and terrible" stage, you're ALMOST DONE. Get someone to remind you of that when you hit that point.

All the best for a great birth, mama! You can do it!
Great advice