Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
It sounds like you are making more than enough. Remember babies have their days and nights mixed up many times. Sounds like he is perfect and no supplimenting is needed. He also may be using you as a paci at night, my babies did that. An ounce per feed is very normal at his age. He has a teeny tummy.

Some babies cluster feed at night due to laying down more and refluxing. Makes them want to nurse more for comfort. I would watch for that. It is common. My newbies had to be on an incline to nurse to not reflux. Two even needed meds to feel better.
This! My first was the same way, and just wanted to suck all night long. I remember balling my eyes out at 4 am on the phone with a lactation nurse thinking I didn't have enough milk and he was starving. She told me to give him a pacifier and it helped immensely. He was later diagnosed with GERD and sucking helped temporarily with the pain and burning he felt.
I don't think you need to supplement- a baby will almost always eat more if offered a bottle even if they are full. Are you against using a paci?

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
creativeOTmomma
Registered Users

Re: Struggling to breastfeed my newborn

So, an update. My LO was 4 oz. off of his birth weight at his 2 week check up so my doctor recommended letting him nurse for 10 min per side, then giving him more formula. I tried it the last couple of days and now I think I have really messed up my supply. I am so ready to ditch the bottles and formula, but I am worried that I may only be able to produce 2 oz during feedings when he requires 4. What do I do if I am empty and he is still giving me his hunger cry? He just gets frustrated when I keep putting him back on an almost empty breast and I hate the feeling of not being able to satisfy him without resorting to pre-pumped or formula.

Last edited by creativeOTmomma; 03-21-2013 at 10:58 PM.
creativeOTmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeOTmomma View Post
So, an update. My LO was 4 oz. off of his birth weight at his 2 week check up so my doctor recommended letting him nurse for 10 min per side, then giving him more formula. I tried it the last couple of days and now I think I have really messed up my supply. I am so ready to ditch the bottles and formula, but I am worried that I may only be able to produce 2 oz during feedings when he requires 4. What do I do if I am empty and he is still giving me his hunger cry? He just gets frustrated when I keep putting him back on an almost empty breast and I hate the feeling of not being able to satisfy him without resorting to pre-pumped or formula.
It takes about 3-4 days of just nursing (no bottles, no formula) for the breasts to regulate how much baby needs and match that with production. Have faith, it will work; your body can satisfy him. You can do it mama! If you can just nurse him whenever he wants, follow his cues and ditch the bottles, you guys will get insync.

I had 36 week 3 day preemie and this sounds so familiar, but I didn't use the bottles and it worked. You can do it! Believe in yourself and your baby!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If he's not getting a full 4 oz that they think he needs at each feeding, he will just make up for it and feed more often. Crazy Drs are making you a nervous wreck.

My only advice to you is to just take a nice deep breath and forget about weight and rules and how much milk you are making and just listen to his cues. If he wants to nurse for 12'hours let him, and of he's only nursing for 20 seconds for a day or 2 and still having wet diapers don't worry about it! Just sit back and enjoy your baby ((hugs))
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #15
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
I had to massage breast to help him get more at first as mine was lik315 on jaundice scale. I was determined to be able to breastfeed as my milk was in before we left hospital. If u can get bottle breast milk too good. Pediatrician tried to make me formula feed mine & said won't hurt supply...maybe they need to be schooled by a breastfeeding mom. Breastfeeding is supply & demand . he/she is trying up ur supply to fit needs at night. Give it few more weeks. If u could maybe pump between feedings to help increase your supply.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I never had a newborn eat more than 2 ounces per feeding. Your doc is acting like you have a bottle fed baby. Ditch the bottles and just nurse on demand. Put baby on a boob let him eat till he is done. Switch to other boob if he wants more, if not, pump it out. This will help your supply and your baby will be getting plenty.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #17
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I never had a newborn eat more than 2 ounces per feeding. Your doc is acting like you have a bottle fed baby. Ditch the bottles and just nurse on demand. Put baby on a boob let him eat till he is done. Switch to other boob if he wants more, if not, pump it out. This will help your supply and your baby will be getting plenty.

I'm a nurse and worked in lactation and newborn nursery. I borrowed a hospital grade scale (can detect a difference in weight to 5 grams) to weigh my little guy before and after feedings and would take measurements every few weeks. Aside from around 4 months, at the first morning feeding, he NEVER took 4 ounces at a feeding. His typical amount was 1.5-2.5 oz and rarely more than that. 2 ounces is a very normal amount for a healthy baby to take. I had oversupply and was pumping and donating; there was way more than 2 ounces available to my babe and still he only took the 2 ounces. He did however, prefer to nurse every 1-1.5 hours, rarely going 2 hours. There are so many myths about breastfeeding. Try to just nurse, stop all bottles and keep baby close to you, skin-to-skin is even better or in a wrap on your chest. Follow his lead. He will get everything back on track. They are very good at that! You've nurtured him well, given him the strength he needs to succeed and now you just need to let him at it! lol You can do it!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 03-22-2013 at 08:20 AM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote