Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
constipation

I'm pregnant and my milk is drying up. I have a freezer stash but we're supplementing with anywhere from 6-10oz of formula a day to stretch our freezer milk out longer. I'm trying to FF without guilt and it's so stinking hard because DD is constipated. She hasn't had a real poop in 4-5 days - just tiny little poops that are barely even worthy of noting. She keeps grunting and pushing but nothing is coming out. Last night she was up bawling. She was even grunting and pushing in her sleep. I know the formula is what is constipating her because she doesn't get anything else that could be doing it. She's 5.5 months old and just really starting solids. She gets 2-3oz of veggies a day & once in awhile I mix some oatmeal into them. Other than that, she's strictly on BM and formula.

I gave her a bunch of prunes a couple of days ago and that didn't free her up. We tried to give her a bit of apple juice yesterday, but she totally refused it. Today I'm only giving her BM because I'm afraid that formula is just going to make it worse. Eventually, she's going to have to go back to formula though. It won't be long and she's probably going to be exclusively on formula.

We've tried warm baths. We've bicycled her legs and massaged her abdomen to no end. I even tried a bit of stimulation with a baby wipe. Nothing is working. I'm beyond frustrated.

I don't want to try Miralax. I've heard awful things about it. One of my SILs recommended Karo syrup. I'm not even sure how we could get her take it if she wouldn't even go for apple juice. Has anyone tried Karo syrup though? Any other ideas?

What do I do to prevent this from happening in the future? I was Googling low-iron formula and I'm seriously tempted by it. Has anyone made the switch?

Advertisement

Last edited by ashley84; 03-16-2013 at 02:18 PM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Miralax is magic. Our pediatrician, our GI, and our developmental recommend it over Karo.

Have you changed formula yet? That is not normal, and I would try a more hypoallergenic formula instead.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
mommy2sammy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nutramigen formula is costly but gives ebf poops. Or 1 tbs of karo mixed in with the bottle can work in a pinch, but not something I would do daily.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
When you see her grunting and trying to poop, take her diaper off, hold under her knees with her back to your stomach and hold her over the sink. It will give her a squatting position, and may help her get it out better.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: constipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel+3 View Post
When you see her grunting and trying to poop, take her diaper off, hold under her knees with her back to your stomach and hold her over the sink. It will give her a squatting position, and may help her get it out better.
Oh my goodness, thank you so much for this advice! I finally got her to take some apple juice. Then I read online that pears also help free things up, so I fed her some of those too. She was nursing when she started grunting and pushing again. I took her clothes off and put her on the toilet. I propped her legs up on the seat so she was squatting. She whimpered for a second and then everything all let loose at once. Such a relief!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley84

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for this advice! I finally got her to take some apple juice. Then I read online that pears also help free things up, so I fed her some of those too. She was nursing when she started grunting and pushing again. I took her clothes off and put her on the toilet. I propped her legs up on the seat so she was squatting. She whimpered for a second and then everything all let loose at once. Such a relief!
No problem. Maybe this could be the start of elimination communication for you
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
aitorres821
Banned

I'm glad you found a solution, I've dealt with my babys constipation for months!
aitorres821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
KendallShawn
Registered Users

The Karo is key for us. You get her to take it by putting it in with the formula....make sure it is the DARK Karo. My doctor said that the stuff that makes it dark also makes it so that their bodies can't absorb the sugar in it, which is why it works as a gentle osmotic laxative (because the extra sugar in the stool pulls water back into the colon). Make sure you mix the karo with the water first, then add the powder and shake again. Once you get them back on track you can ease up, too. My little guy was crazy constipated-would have made me hurt- but we're adopting him so I don't breastfeed bc I didn't birth him, so breast milk wasn't an option. We started with a teaspoon of Karo per bottle which honestly freaked me out but my doctor was right, the only difference we noticed was just that the constipation went away. Once he'd been regular for a few weeks, we started cutting the Karo. Now we're down to 1/8tsp in 80-90% of bottles and he's still really regular, no constipation since. His body just learned to regulate with the formula. Hope that helps!
KendallShawn is offline   Reply With Quote