Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Kay+Dave
Registered Users

Who has nursed through a pregnancy?

Those of you who have nursed through a pregnancy, give me some insight! I just went to my first OB appointment. I'm 8 weeks along, and my son is 11.5 months. My OB suggested I stop nursing him now. He's not ready...

I know it is hard to basically be eating for three people, but I really don't want to stop nursing right now! Any tips, advice, or insight?? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay+Dave
Those of you who have nursed through a pregnancy, give me some insight! I just went to my first OB appointment. I'm 8 weeks along, and my son is 11.5 months. My OB suggested I stop nursing him now. He's not ready...

I know it is hard to basically be eating for three people, but I really don't want to stop nursing right now! Any tips, advice, or insight?? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Nursed through several pregnancies and tandem nursed (and triandem too).
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Who has nursed through a pregnancy?

My now 4.5 year old nursed through both my 20 week pg and my full term pg.

There's really no need to stop- Be prepared for you milk to dry up- it is common for it to do so- and your lo may wean themselves due to the change in volume and/or taste in the milk.

My milk did start to dry up around 13-14 weeks (If I remember right) and at one point did have to set limits, because the whole sucking on a dry tap thing was akin to scratching your nails down a chalkboard. I could not stand it. When it was worse, I would put bandaids over them and tell him the had owies, and we would snuggle instead. I lost that baby at 20 weeks (not related to bf) and got pg again 4 months later- lo nursed through that pg as well, and when the milk came back toward the end of the pg, he nursed for a couple weeks, but then decided on his own that he was done. He was almost 3.5 at that point, and was ready emotionally and mentally to let go.

You will want to be sure to eat and drink enough, of course. And if it gets rough, or is not comfortable for you, don't feel like you have to tough it out!

Last edited by Pampered Mama; 03-21-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have nursed through two pregnancies and tandem nursed too. Its totally do-able
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
TryingHard
Registered Users
seller

I am. My toddler eats anything And everything but is officially still nursing.
You can do it!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Still nursing my 18 month old, she doesn't nurse often, but she still is. When I first got pregnant she was nursing a lot more and I had to eat a lot. Not too diffucult unless you have really bad MS.

For me it was like, I was the one that became pregnant, why should her nursing time get cut short because of something I did. She still needs me.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I nursed through my pregnancy. My DD was almost 2 years old when I got pregnant. She loves to comfort nurse, so it didn't matter to her that there was little to no milk there. It was uncomfortable for me, especially the marathon pre-nap nursing session, so I tried to keep most nursing sessions pretty short, and I limited her to first thing in the morning, before nap, and right before bed.

The pregnancy was completely healthy. We are still tandem nursing now.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Me but I weaned her at 35 months about 7 weeks postpartum, I just did not want to nurse her anymore.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

I'm currently nursing my 23 month old and am almost 12 weeks along. I've bad to cut her sessions down a lot the last few weeks bc of horrible ms and me losing 8-10 lbs in 2-3 weeks :/ but she needed to nurse less so she would eat actual food anyway so it worked out. But yes it's doable, but it hurts like heck and often times I hold back screams while she's sucking. And no you don't have to be a martyr and do it. I'm only weaning her one session at a time bc I don't want to do cold turkey (as my doc so strongly suggested) and bc she is very very much attached to the milk.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I am 10.5 weeks and nursing my 27 mo. My supply seems lower but there is still milk in there. Sometimes he nurses and drinks and sometimes, he nurses so softly, like its just for the comfort, not the milk. I'm not sure how long he will nurse; he seems to still be attached but has significantly reduced the number of times he nurses per day. I have a bicornuate bicolis uterus, meaning my uterus is divided in half and only connects about a centimeter above the cervix. Basically, two separate uteri. I went into preterm labor with DS at 23 weeks, was hospitalized and then on oral and injected drugs until week 36, and immediately went into labor. I've been told nursing through this pregnancy could cause preterm labor... I am not sure what to do.