Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
myclanof6's Avatar
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In the land of Oz
Posts: 2,424
I'm of no more help than these ladies, but have you tried a goats milk formula? If you can find local goats milk and do a low-temp pasteurization to it you've got a great base for formula. I don't know the exact recipe but I think I've seen a few threads on here before.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing

Advertisement

__________________
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #42
Kandii03
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Madison, Wi
Posts: 132
My Mood:
Re: What do you do to decrease the costs of formula?

Saw someone else say this too but we used the Target brand with our first. It was and still is the best price per ounce evenover costo or sam's club. Even with the name brand coupons and checks it is still chaeper... and on occassion they give $5 or $10 giftcards if you buy two!
Kandii03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #43
luvsviola's Avatar
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 17,103
My Mood:
Re: What do you do to decrease the costs of formula?

We used Target brand for awhile, and DD2 was fine switching between Target toddler formula and Costco infant formula once she was 12 months (we bought wherever we happened to be shopping).
__________________
Kristen
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #44
Diego&Amelia'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Diego´sMom
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 406
My Mood:
Re: What do you do to decrease the costs of formula?

I use NAN 2 Confort Digestivo from Nestle, has probiotics, gives ebf poops, some walmart stores carry Mexican brands, I pay about 14dlls per a 800grs can in Mexico
__________________

Last edited by Diego&Amelia'sMom; 10-03-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Diego&Amelia'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #45
d_arnold's Avatar
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 2,564
My Mood:
I bought the Parents Choice brand at Walmart. You can also email them once a month to request coupons.
__________________
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #46
babykinsdaddy's Avatar
babykinsdaddy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: surprise, az
Posts: 3
Re: What do you do to decrease the costs of formula?

My daughter needs to be on Similac Alimentum for her reflux and a milk protein allergy. On top of that she can't tolerate the powder so we have to buy ready to feed. thank god for WIC
babykinsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #47
7 for now
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Idaho
Posts: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinsdaddy
My daughter needs to be on Similac Alimentum for her reflux and a milk protein allergy. On top of that she can't tolerate the powder so we have to buy ready to feed. thank god for WIC
Same for my son, except we don't qualify for WIC! So we have been paying $90/week for it. I think the doc has it worked now though that insurance should cover 80% of it. They have to submit it to make sure.

We also have to mix his Alimentum to 24 cal/oz instead of the standard 20 cal/oz, so we use that much more of it:-(

We may be on to an amino acid formula next month. Have a repeat GI appt in 2 weeks to see if the blood is gone from his stool. It looks the same to me (green) so I don't think it is, though his screaming is much better. That is about double the Alimentum cost.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #48
slimy72's Avatar
slimy72
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western US
Posts: 10,055
My Mood:
Re: What do you do to decrease the costs of formula?

I really worked hard to combine coupons and checks. I signed up for checks from all the companies and then would trade with other mamas to get the ones I needed. Then whenever a coupon came out I would get all I could find (you can buy coupons online for a few cents a piece where as checks are usually sold for close to face value). You can combine one coupon and one check on each container purchased. Then with both coupons and checks I'd watch for the right sales to stock up on. Target does Gift card deals on occasion that make it a really good price. Sometimes the grocery store would have it cheapest. It was a whole lot of work but it saved us a ton of money since my son had to have RTF name brand. If I had it to do over again, I would really hope to just use generic and have a baby that would tolerate it. But we did manage to get his formula for about half price.
__________________
hand spinning, soap making, sheep raising wife to my hardworking and FT WOHM to my 'lil & 6 angels in heaven & our rainbow baby that joined us safely this summer!
ISO: Formula Checks- if you have some you won't use we would love to have them!
NB Diapers for sale: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1594851
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #49
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,715
Re: What do you do to decrease the costs of formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post
I'm of no more help than these ladies, but have you tried a goats milk formula? If you can find local goats milk and do a low-temp pasteurization to it you've got a great base for formula. I don't know the exact recipe but I think I've seen a few threads on here before.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I am not willing to risk something like this with a baby who lost 3lbs, and still, at 5.5 months, is not yet even at 1st percentile.

Quote:
I really worked hard to combine coupons and checks. I signed up for checks from all the companies and then would trade with other mamas to get the ones I needed. Then whenever a coupon came out I would get all I could find (you can buy coupons online for a few cents a piece where as checks are usually sold for close to face value). You can combine one coupon and one check on each container purchased. Then with both coupons and checks I'd watch for the right sales to stock up on. Target does Gift card deals on occasion that make it a really good price. Sometimes the grocery store would have it cheapest. It was a whole lot of work but it saved us a ton of money since my son had to have RTF name brand. If I had it to do over again, I would really hope to just use generic and have a baby that would tolerate it. But we did manage to get his formula for about half price.
This is what I have been doing so far. It's still quite a squeeze, but we have done "ok" so far. I have managed to get a few canisters/tubs at about 50% off so far. I have a few that I had to pay full price for too, because we had to have it right away and I didn't have the coupons/checks yet.

BTW, there was a GREAT mama here who sent me some checks...I CANNOT find my PM to respond to her and let her know I got them and the rebate form, THANK YOU!!!!!
__________________
Kim-married to Dan
Mama to Caiti (17), Rae Rae (4), Dani Lee(2), and CJ, born 10/12/12.
Stuff From Kim's Kloset That Special Moment Photography Also come check out Swagbucks with me!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #50
hbee's Avatar
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 5,997
Re: What do you do to decrease the costs of formula?

Target sometimes has buy two get a $5 gift card on theirs. We used Enfamil AR for a while and when we didn't have coupons, we would order S&S on amazon. Also, one Target had refill packages for a little cheaper than the whole shebang each time.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.