Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm of no more help than these ladies, but have you tried a goats milk formula? If you can find local goats milk and do a low-temp pasteurization to it you've got a great base for formula. I don't know the exact recipe but I think I've seen a few threads on here before.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing

Advertisement

I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #42
Kandii03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you do to decrease the costs of formula?

Saw someone else say this too but we used the Target brand with our first. It was and still is the best price per ounce evenover costo or sam's club. Even with the name brand coupons and checks it is still chaeper... and on occassion they give $5 or $10 giftcards if you buy two!
Kandii03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #43
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used Target brand for awhile, and DD2 was fine switching between Target toddler formula and Costco infant formula once she was 12 months (we bought wherever we happened to be shopping).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #44
Diego&Amelia'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Diego´sMom
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use NAN 2 Confort Digestivo from Nestle, has probiotics, gives ebf poops, some walmart stores carry Mexican brands, I pay about 14dlls per a 800grs can in Mexico

Last edited by Diego&Amelia'sMom; 10-03-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Diego&Amelia'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #45
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I bought the Parents Choice brand at Walmart. You can also email them once a month to request coupons.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #46
babykinsdaddy
Registered Users

My daughter needs to be on Similac Alimentum for her reflux and a milk protein allergy. On top of that she can't tolerate the powder so we have to buy ready to feed. thank god for WIC
babykinsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #47
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinsdaddy
My daughter needs to be on Similac Alimentum for her reflux and a milk protein allergy. On top of that she can't tolerate the powder so we have to buy ready to feed. thank god for WIC
Same for my son, except we don't qualify for WIC! So we have been paying $90/week for it. I think the doc has it worked now though that insurance should cover 80% of it. They have to submit it to make sure.

We also have to mix his Alimentum to 24 cal/oz instead of the standard 20 cal/oz, so we use that much more of it:-(

We may be on to an amino acid formula next month. Have a repeat GI appt in 2 weeks to see if the blood is gone from his stool. It looks the same to me (green) so I don't think it is, though his screaming is much better. That is about double the Alimentum cost.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #48
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I really worked hard to combine coupons and checks. I signed up for checks from all the companies and then would trade with other mamas to get the ones I needed. Then whenever a coupon came out I would get all I could find (you can buy coupons online for a few cents a piece where as checks are usually sold for close to face value). You can combine one coupon and one check on each container purchased. Then with both coupons and checks I'd watch for the right sales to stock up on. Target does Gift card deals on occasion that make it a really good price. Sometimes the grocery store would have it cheapest. It was a whole lot of work but it saved us a ton of money since my son had to have RTF name brand. If I had it to do over again, I would really hope to just use generic and have a baby that would tolerate it. But we did manage to get his formula for about half price.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #49
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post
I'm of no more help than these ladies, but have you tried a goats milk formula? If you can find local goats milk and do a low-temp pasteurization to it you've got a great base for formula. I don't know the exact recipe but I think I've seen a few threads on here before.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I am not willing to risk something like this with a baby who lost 3lbs, and still, at 5.5 months, is not yet even at 1st percentile.

Quote:
I really worked hard to combine coupons and checks. I signed up for checks from all the companies and then would trade with other mamas to get the ones I needed. Then whenever a coupon came out I would get all I could find (you can buy coupons online for a few cents a piece where as checks are usually sold for close to face value). You can combine one coupon and one check on each container purchased. Then with both coupons and checks I'd watch for the right sales to stock up on. Target does Gift card deals on occasion that make it a really good price. Sometimes the grocery store would have it cheapest. It was a whole lot of work but it saved us a ton of money since my son had to have RTF name brand. If I had it to do over again, I would really hope to just use generic and have a baby that would tolerate it. But we did manage to get his formula for about half price.
This is what I have been doing so far. It's still quite a squeeze, but we have done "ok" so far. I have managed to get a few canisters/tubs at about 50% off so far. I have a few that I had to pay full price for too, because we had to have it right away and I didn't have the coupons/checks yet.

BTW, there was a GREAT mama here who sent me some checks...I CANNOT find my PM to respond to her and let her know I got them and the rebate form, THANK YOU!!!!!
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #50
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Target sometimes has buy two get a $5 gift card on theirs. We used Enfamil AR for a while and when we didn't have coupons, we would order S&S on amazon. Also, one Target had refill packages for a little cheaper than the whole shebang each time.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote