Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Iowa: homeschooling kindergarten - what do I have to do?

I am opening up the idea of homeschooling, that's the first step right? We have a Montessori style of homeschooling, but I am not sure how that can work with meeting requirements our state may have for homeschooling.

My DS will be in Kindergaten next year. We are in Iowa (so I have to have him take standardized tests if we homeschool?) How do I do that in Kindergarten?

He is super advanced and already at the end of Kindergarten material though he's not yet finished with preschool (he is enrolled in a preschool program 4 days a week for 4 hours a day with other 4/5 year olds).

I guess I just don't know where to start. Homeschooling prek and younger years was easy but he concept of homeschooling DS in Kindergarten through 1st grade at least (before we relocate to a better school district) is very daunting to me. I just dont know how to meet state requirements and make sure he can do well on testing if we montessori style teach...do I need to change my teaching style?

what paperwork do i have to submit to where to document he is going to be homeschooled and his progress along the way?

how much of a time commitment is homeschooling a kindergartener? I will be taking 2 college classes each semester (1 evening, 1 day one that my MIL will watch kids for).

I just dont know where to start can someone help me? I know if I cant get these answers I wont be able to consider homeschooling...

I am in Iowa. What are the requirements for kindergarteners and how do i meet them?
I can dual enroll him in school to get access to what exactly?
As a kindergartener in Iowa does he have to take standardized tests in homeschool? If so, what do I have to do or where can I find them? If not, then what DO i have to document in kindergarten?

Anybody can help me at all? I find all these generic homeschooling groups on FB and such but I cant find the few details I need to be able to decide if we can do this.

Advertisement

Last edited by frugalmomof2; 03-16-2013 at 06:35 PM.
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Starting at the age of 6 they need 148 days of instruction.

Submit two copies of a "competent private instruction form" to the school board secretary by Aug 26th (to include info about you, your child, outline of course of study, vax or exemption forms, etc)

Blood lead testing forms

Decide between HSing under a "designated teacher" or with taking annual assesments

More detailed info here;
http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Iowa.pdf

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 03-19-2013 at 10:16 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Re: Iowa: homeschooling kindergarten - what do I have to do?

Thank you mama!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Np! hope that helps, it looks like there's a bit to do to set up in Iowa but after that it's pretty easy. Edited to change number of days, they require more than 14
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not sure the age of your LO but in Iowa the age of being required to school is 6 so if your LO will not be 6 you may not have to fill in all the forms till next year.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Thank you again! My DS will be 5 by the September cutoff. Looks like I just need to send in a CPI form at most.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2 View Post
Thank you again! My DS will be 5 by the September cutoff. Looks like I just need to send in a CPI form at most.
Don't even do that. Until next year, when your DS turns 6 before September 15th, you don't need to do anything. Honestly, it's better to follow the law and not do extra because then the school district wants everyone to follow that precedent.
Iowa is thinking about changing to hours instead of days, so there will be 1080 required hours. It's really easy here in Iowa though. Just keep track of what you do, I keep a log as practice for next year when my DS will be 6. Either have your DS take a standardized test (through the school or an accredited program that you buy the test from) or get a supervising teacher. Some areas have a HSAP, it's up to you whether you want to join that or dual-enroll or just submit the CPI form. HSLDA is a great resource.
What area are you in? I'm in the QCA.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post

Don't even do that. Until next year, when your DS turns 6 before September 15th, you don't need to do anything. Honestly, it's better to follow the law and not do extra because then the school district wants everyone to follow that precedent.
Iowa is thinking about changing to hours instead of days, so there will be 1080 required hours. It's really easy here in Iowa though. Just keep track of what you do, I keep a log as practice for next year when my DS will be 6. Either have your DS take a standardized test (through the school or an accredited program that you buy the test from) or get a supervising teacher. Some areas have a HSAP, it's up to you whether you want to join that or dual-enroll or just submit the CPI form. HSLDA is a great resource.
What area are you in? I'm in the QCA.
I'm a scoot north of DSM.

Great guidance mama - thank you! I will definitely work on keeping track of our time/what we do so I can use it as practice when I will be required to do so.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This site should give you all the info you need.

https://www.homeschooliowa.org/start...elawrules.html

We are in our 3rd year of homeschooling. We have always done a supervising teacher and it has worked out great for us. We are not required to do the standardized tests because of this. Although due to a mix up in the school district this year they "thought" we were required and we decided to take them anyway just to see where we were. If you need any other info on supervising teachers or our experiences just pm me and I'd love to share. I also keep all of their work in portfolios just to cover our bases.

We are just about 35 minutes to the west of DM.
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used to live between Grimes and Perry. There are lots of groups in the area, I'd start by looking for one that fits. I don't know any supervising teachers in your area anymore. If you want to go with the standardized test, you don't have to go through the school. Also, if you ever feel like the school district is pushing you to do something illegal, like fill out extra paperwork, etc, feel free to contact HSLDA for help. HTH

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote